A-Roid offered a deal to avoid a lifetime ban

Aglets

Because MLB is engaging in CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.

What crime? Just because you don't approve doesn't make the activity "criminal".

The records of a business engaged in criminal activities don't have any legal protection from "theft". Any citizen, employee or otherwise, can take possession of those records and deliver them to the authorities. Now if it turned out the records weren't of illegal activities, the individuals taking them could be subject to criminal theft charges.

The individuals who removed the records might be vulnerable to charges of obstruction but I'm assuming MLB investigators made the documents they obtained LEGALLY available to law enforcement.

You just seem to have extreme prejudice against MLB so you're making up "CRIMES" that don't exist.

There is no "CRIME" associated with receiving stolen property if it's then made available to law enforcement. Neither is there a "CRIME" in taking records of illegal activities if those records are then made available to law enforcement, even if the "availability" is indirectly, through private investigators. Anyone who watches Hollywood crime shows could tell you that.

Concealing evidence of a crime or destroying evidence of a crime is criminal obstruction. Making a profit off the delivery of criminal evidence isn't in and of itself a crime.

You're going to have to do better than that. MLB offending your sense of propriety isn't a "CRIME".

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What crime? Just because you don't approve doesn't make the activity "criminal".

The records of a business engaged in criminal activities don't have any legal protection from "theft". Any citizen, employee or otherwise, can take possession of those records and deliver them to the authorities. Now if it turned out the records weren't of illegal activities, the individuals taking them could be subject to criminal theft charges.

The individuals who removed the records might be vulnerable to charges of obstruction but I'm assuming MLB investigators made the documents they obtained LEGALLY available to law enforcement.

You just seem to have extreme prejudice against MLB so you're making up "CRIMES" that don't exist.

There is no "CRIME" associated with receiving stolen property if it's then made available to law enforcement. Neither is there a "CRIME" in taking records of illegal activities if those records are then made available to law enforcement, even if the "availability" is indirectly, through private investigators. Anyone who watches Hollywood crime shows could tell you that.

Concealing evidence of a crime or destroying evidence of a crime is criminal obstruction. Making a profit off the delivery of criminal evidence isn't in and of itself a crime.

You're going to have to do better than that. MLB offending your sense of propriety isn't a "CRIME".

MLB are not the authorities.

Because MLB is engaging in CRIMINAL ACTIVITY.

According to the first source, Manfred testified a member of MLB’s investigative team made two cash payments — one for $100,000 and a second for $25,000 — to Gary Jones, a former Biogenesis employee, for the information. The documents turned out to be stolen from Biogenesis founder (and now MLB’s star witness) Tony Bosch, although Manfred testified he did not know that at the time.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/18/mlb-admits-paying-125k-for-a-rod-documents-source/

I don't expect you'll believe Manfred; despite him giving sworn testimony.

No, there should be standards of behavior. Paying for STOLEN documents is not acceptable.

It amazes me that folks are willing to allow all sorts of behavior in the name of "cleaning up the game".

I am pretty much ok with punishing a few unfairly, to make the game righteous. Not that it can happen, but I would rather see this than have baseball become professional cycling.

Isn't buying evidence considered tampering with evidence? Tampering is a felony.

For a court of law it could be. It would depend on many other factors. And you would need a court case that declared it to be so. You have not committed a felony until convicted. You know, like George Steinbenner was. You are completely confused about what this is.

For a court of law it could be. It would depend on many other factors. And you would need a court case that declared it to be so. You have not committed a felony until convicted. You know, like George Steinbenner was. You are completely confused about what this is.

I am extremely confused. I have been out on the balcony.

According to the first source, Manfred testified a member of MLB’s investigative team made two cash payments — one for $100,000 and a second for $25,000 — to Gary Jones, a former Biogenesis employee, for the information. The documents turned out to be stolen from Biogenesis founder (and now MLB’s star witness) Tony Bosch, although Manfred testified he did not know that at the time.

http://nypost.com/2013/10/18/mlb-admits-paying-125k-for-a-rod-documents-source/

I don't expect you'll believe Manfred; despite him giving sworn testimony.

Right, and if you were to buy a stolen car unknowingly?

Here is what is probably a more accurate scenario. I own a BBQ join in FL, I visit the BBQ join you own lets say in MD. I love the homemade sauce you use. I offer you 15K for it, you refuse. After I leave your head cook follows me out and offers me the recipe for 15K.

Now I don't know that it is stolen, but it isn't hard for me to figure it out.

I don't necessarily think MLB knew it was trafficking in stolen goods, but I bet they didn't check real hard before writing the check.

I am pretty much ok with punishing a few unfairly, to make the game righteous. Not that it can happen, but I would rather see this than have baseball become professional cycling.

Yes, as you said earlier, we differ.

I would rather a few get away then MLB go about things in such a fashion.

At least you understand that doing things like paying for testimony is unseemly.

MLB: "Hey, we will pay you 50K if you testify that Arod bought steroids."

BE: "What if I testify that he didn't?"

MLB "We won't pay you 50K."

BE: "Seems legit!"

At least you understand that doing things like paying for testimony is unseemly.

I understand that if that would happen it would be unseemly.

What? Why in the world would you think this is true?

MLB didn't go on some witch hunt. A newspaper broke the story. They followed the evidence. I don't think they would pay money for something that they hadn't investigated.

They didn't create this story. Paying money for legit evidence doesn't bother me one bit.

Isn't buying evidence considered tampering with evidence? Tampering is a felony.

Did MLB alter the documents they purchased or hide them from the authorities? That would be tampering with the evidence and/or obstruction of justice. Just paying money to acquire the evidence is not a CRIME as long as no attempt was made to alter the evidence or keep it from authorities.

The employees who removed the records and sold them may be guilty of unethical behavior and they may be guilty of criminal obstruction of justice if they sold the documents to A-rod knowing or suspecting that he would make them disappear, but I don't believe they would be charged with theft only for taking records of criminal activities, whether they did so in order to protect themselves or to deliver them to the authorities.

If the employees knew that Bosch was engaged in criminal activities, then they would be accessories, subject to criminal charges. If, however, they cooperate with authorities, prosecutors often let them off with a slap on the wrist.

In this case, MLB investigators would be analogous to insurance company investigators in cases of insurance fraud. They often work in concert with law enforcement and turn over evidence to the authorities for prosecution, but that doesn't prevent the insurance companies -- or MLB in this case -- from using the evidence gathered for their own purposes.

Now if anyone can show that MLB investigators altered any evidence or concealed it from authorities, you would have a point. Whether MLB paid for any documents or not is irrelevant unless it impugns the credibility or authenticity of the evidence.

Again, this is just fans who regard MLB as "evil" trying to rationalize their hatred of MLB or Bud Selig.

Now if someone can find a law that makes it a crime for selling or buying evidence of criminal activities, that would be different. Somewhat analogous might be the Maryland law which makes it a crime for a private citizen to record phone conversations discussing criminal activities unless the criminal gives his/her permission. That was the basis for Maryland prosecutors filing criminal charges against Linda Tripp for doing something that would have been completely legal in a different state. I'm not a lawyer nor am I intimately familiar with applicable Florida or federal law but I'd want to hear that from someone with legal experience.

Archived