TT: Buck needs to make a decision on Brian Roberts

Tony-OH

Don't put words in my mouth, I said nothing of the sort. Stop making things up to support your flawed position. I said maybe someone (player OR coach) could maybe suggest that with the way Flaherty has been playing....for months...that he should get more playing time than once a week. Or better yet just put the darn best player on the field....novel concept I know.

Right, let's just throw out all the bad years and forget they never happened. LOL, this stuff cracks me up. Maybe we should eliminate all BRob's bad games too, and just look at the good ones over the last 4 years.

Just like we add in the horrid first month for Flaherty this year, and act like that is the player he has been recently ignoring his last 2 months. Do you know how ridiculous you sound right now just grasping for something...anything to support something that the facts do not?

Yeah, there are some who want to discount Flaherty's hit streak before Roberts go hot but at the same time not want to accept that Roberts has hit well for an 11-game stretch, but otherwise has been as bad as Flaherty was at the beginning of the year. Not to mention there is a lot better chance of the 27-year old getting better than the 35-year old.

No one has said they would have signed Roberts if he were a free agent, so that really shows that the only people who think Roberts is the better option are the ones going with either "In Buck we blindly trust" or those that still hold out some faint hope that a 35-year old player will suddenly return to become a good major league player after being terrible since 2010. That's all well and good, bu the Orioles are trying to make the playoffs and the best guys should be in the lineup on a regular basis, and Flaherty is a better option at second base than Roberts.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Flaherty has two more good days at the plate while Roberts is out, he's going to make it tough on Buck, I'll say that.

They could split the time. BRob plays against every LHP, and some RHP. If Flaherty is going to get hot here, then ride the hot bat.

This issue makes people suggest outlandish things. Like player mutiny against Buck. Unbelievable.

I've never seen a more divisive issue on this board than beloved longtime Oriole Brian Roberts. It's amazing.

We are fans of a team that was under siege from a radio station that had a few followers. The idea that any type of protest or mutiny is even a possibility with this team is a ghost of that foolish time.

To take this discussion in a different direction, let's say we can be reasonably certain that Flaherty and Roberts will be equally valuable for the rest of the season, roughly replacement level. If that's the case, doesn't it make infinitely more sense to give Flaherty the playing time over Roberts, since Flaherty could become our second baseman of the future, while Roberts clearly is not. If Roberts is not providing any additional value over Flaherty, then the Orioles should be giving Flaherty as much experience as possible.

If their current production is roughly equal, Flaherty's future investment tips the scales in his favor. That is the much smarter decision. On the other side of the scale is professional courtesy and deference to a veteran but, frankly, that's what the $40 million is for.

To take this discussion in a different direction, let's say we can be reasonably certain that Flaherty and Roberts will be equally valuable for the rest of the season, roughly replacement level. If that's the case, doesn't it make infinitely more sense to give Flaherty the playing time over Roberts, since Flaherty could become our second baseman of the future, while Roberts clearly is not. If Roberts is not providing any additional value over Flaherty, then the Orioles should be giving Flaherty as much experience as possible.

If their current production is roughly equal, Flaherty's future investment tips the scales in his favor. That is the much smarter decision. On the other side of the scale is professional courtesy and deference to a veteran but, frankly, that's what the $40 million is for.

Roberts did not play for 2 and 2/3rds seasons. While being paid 30 million dollars.

Roberts was paid 10 million dollars this season.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bal-brian-roberts-wife-diana-gives-birth-to-baby-boy-named-jax-isaac-20130803,0,5123553.story

Odd name for a baby, but I suppose that's about the only Jax we've seen from B-Rob in a while. You know, some people eat the placenta of the child, as it is supposed to increase energy and help with healing. B-Rob is rumored to have eaten the placenta, but only once, and that was to rehab because of an injury.

• 2 weeks later...

He went 8 for 24 on the road trip with a few RBI's and only 3 K's (2 of which I believe were looking on questionable calls)....

This is why I would rather have him in the lineup instead of Flaherty. Yes, Flaherty has more pop, but we have enough guys in the lineup that strike out 120 times a year.

When the RISP matter, I have confidence Roberts will find a way to get them in, even if it's a ground ball out.

Let Brian get closer to two hundred ABs before we decide he's done. It is not as if we have a great replacement, we have a guy no one wanted on the ML roster a month ago. Let Brob continue to play himself into form. He is our guy. He will improve as the season progresses. If he does not, we always have the newly popular RF.

I see emotions on display. Adorable. All of these feelings. Lets hug it out.

Enjoy your Friday, lets go Os.

Ah, prophetic

Three hits. Too bad someones boy came in and got him doubled up.

Yep this is just a corollary to and more evidence of the dreaded BRob effect.

He has never participate in an Orioles team with a winning record

The Orioles record in games that BRob has played in this year: 19-17

I have no doubt that the O's will be under .500 in games that Brian Roberts plays this year as they have in every single year in his illustrious career.

B rob looks good. Markakis is really frustrating me. I almost feel like he has to be hurt.

Studies show that having the hamate bone removed has an impact on power. It hasn't been a year yet, I'll worry next year if he's not hitting with any power at all.

Archived