Matt Garza contracts the deadly Twitter disease.

LayzieDES

Garza takes to Twitter to rant at wife of Oakland player Eric Sogard after he & 3 other A's attempted to exploit his trouble throwing to first base by bunting.

ku-xlarge.jpg

The silliness started during the seventh inning of Oakland's 4-2 victory on Saturday afternoon. With a runner on third and one out, Sogard executed a perfect squeeze play to give the A's their insurance run. It was smart play, and it was without question a clean play, yet Garza took great exception to the play, possibly due to his past fielding struggles, and more specifically his inability to make quality throws off flat ground.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/matt-garza-takes-jabs-eric-kaycee-sogard-during-081458796.html

MLB needs to invest in classes for so many of these players on How Not to be Idiots on Social Media. With all those questioning K-Rod's values & then the many others that wanted Garza in Baltimore, it looks like he is starting to fall into the same category.

MLB needs to invest in classes for so many of these players on How Not to be Idiots on Social Media. With all those questioning K-Rod's values & then the many others that wanted Garza in Baltimore, it looks like he is starting to fall into the same category.

There is a pretty big gulf in my mind between Garza's comments and K-Rod's alleged actions.

I will agree that social media training wouldn't be a bad idea.

Oh of course actions & words are far from exactly the same. I mean Garza will soon be viewed as another player who has problems with women, anger, & keeping his mouth shut.

I like Twitter for getting quick news & articles & for being able to interact with people who you normally wouldn't have access too. But everyday I lean more towards the side that all pro sports should ban their athletes from using it. It's just so easy for them to tarnish their own & the team's image by association.

I will agree that social media training wouldn't be a bad idea.

If continually watching other athletes stub their twitter toe doesn't give them pause, reading a couple of pieces of paper won't help. Some people just don't control their impulses. It's the way their brains are wired.

"No questions. Just a statement today," Garza said outside of the Rangers' clubhouse. "All I want to say is I let my competitive spirit cross outside the lines, and that shouldn't happen. I let my passion, my fire carry over, and that's not how this game should be played. And for that I apologize to the Sogards for anything that was said through my Twitter. That's all I have. I regret what happened, and I'm just looking forward to a great game today." Garza said he hasn't talked to Eric Sogard and doesn't "plan to."
Garza is no stranger to controversy on Twitter, and Levine said Garza might stop tweeting.

"That was part of our discussion with him this morning and something actually that he offered up as a smart move on his part just to maybe stop tweeting," Levine said.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/story/_/id/9537663/matt-garza-texas-rangers-apologizes-sexist-rant-oakland-eric-sogard-wife

Smartest thing Garza can do is just to close his account.

Archived