Mark Reynolds DFA (UPDATE:Yankees signed him)

TonySoprano

Reynolds - Pickup as Bargain Sale or Pass?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Reynolds - Pickup as Bargain Sale or Pass?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wilson Betemit the past 3 years against RHP's:

688 AB

206 H

53 2B

4 3B

26 HR

99 RBI

.299 AVG

.364 OBP

.501 SLG

.865 OPS

Betemit is better than Ibanez in the role they would be used in. I'd much rather get Reynolds to play against lefties once Betemit comes back or give him the full time job if he goes on one of his monster streaks.

Wilson Betemit the past 3 years against RHP's:

688 AB

206 H

53 2B

4 3B

26 HR

99 RBI

.299 AVG

.364 OBP

.501 SLG

.865 OPS

Betemit is better than Ibanez in the role they would be used in. I'd much rather get Reynolds to play against lefties once Betemit comes back or give him the full time job if he goes on one of his monster streaks.

Meh, I would say if Betemit returns not when. You site stats from the last 3 years...you mean the last 3 years he has actually played?

If and when he returns, all we will hear for the month of September while he is not contributing: "you have to understand, this is like April for Wilson".

Ibanez is healthy - now. Ibanez is not a defensive liability and can give Nicky a day off. Ibanez does not SO 29% of the time vs. RHP like Betemit (2012).

As matter of fact, the biggest reason that the O's SO totals are down this year compared to last is because Reynolds, Thome and Betemit have been

no where near the Orioles bat rack.

Meh, I would say if Betemit returns not when. You site stats from the last 3 years...you mean the last 3 years he has actually played?

If and when he returns, all we will hear for the month of September while he is not contributing: "you have to understand, this is like April for Wilson".

Ibanez is healthy - now. Ibanez is not a defensive liability and can give Nicky a day off. Ibanez does not SO 29% of the time vs. RHP like Betemit (2012).

As matter of fact, the biggest reason that the O's SO totals are down this year compared to last is because Reynolds, Thome and Betemit have been

no where near the Orioles bat rack.

Ibanez is a terrible fielder and has been in a free fall since July 13th (OPS has fallen from .894 to .801). He also still strikes out 26% of the time, and doesn't walk as much as Betemit.

You mean Thome with a .402 career OBP and 16.9% BB rate?

I think he had a pretty decent batting eye.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I assumed he was talking about Thome the Oriole, who still had a .348 OBP and 12.2% BB rate in his 28 games with the O's (just looked it up). Compare that with Ibanez's .297 OBP and 6.7% walk rate with Seattle this year. Not calling Ibanez a bum, but I think Jim Thome's batting eye was a bit better.

I was thinking the same thing, but then I assumed he was talking about Thome the Oriole, who still had a .348 OBP and 12.2% BB rate in his 28 games with the O's (just looked it up). Compare that with Ibanez's .297 OBP and 6.7% walk rate with Seattle this year. Not calling Ibanez a bum, but I think Jim Thome's batting eye was a bit better.

You guys and your silly facts...

You guys and your silly facts...

Look, maybe I didn't need to criticize Thome's batting eye - just being sarcastic about a player who was another great guy but, IMO, was a waste of an Orioles uniform. The point that I was trying to make is that 2013 Ibanez, unlike 2012 Jim Thome, actually has a little something left in the tank.

Here are some other silly facts for you...Jim Thome 2012 Baltimore Oriole: 40 SO/110 AB (worse than Reynolds 159/457), SLG .396 & OPS .744 (both worse than 2013 Ibanez) and 2012 Postseason Thome: 2 for 15, 0 RBI, 1 BB, 5 SO and 2012 Postseason Ibanez: 7 for 22, 5 RBI, 4 BB, 6 SO

I like Mark Reynolds as a teammate on the Orioles...think he is a really good guy and a gamer, I just don't think he is clutch enough to be an everyday DH. :deadhorse:

Look, maybe I didn't need to criticize Thome's batting eye - just being sarcastic about a player who was another great guy but, IMO, was a waste of an Orioles uniform. The point that I was trying to make is that 2013 Ibanez, unlike 2012 Jim Thome, actually has a little something left in the tank.

Here are some other silly facts for you...Jim Thome 2012 Baltimore Oriole: 40 SO/110 AB (worse than Reynolds 159/457), SLG .396 & OPS .744 (both worse than 2013 Ibanez) and 2012 Postseason Thome: 2 for 15, 0 RBI, 1 BB, 5 SO and 2012 Postseason Ibanez: 7 for 22, 5 RBI, 4 BB, 6 SO

I like Mark Reynolds as a teammate on the Orioles...think he is a really good guy and a gamer, I just don't think he is clutch enough to be an everyday DH. :deadhorse:

I didn't think you were criticizing Thome, just drastically overselling Ibanez.

Archived