When do you consider benching Markakis?

xKHx

He has OPS's .589 since June 1st, he hasn't had an extra base hit in 150 ABs

There are plenty of better options... almost anyone with a pulse willl OPS better than .589, but for some reason the O's never have the resolve to bench their washed up veterans. In the past I guess it was okay as they were always under .500, but it is really frustrating to see the O's trot out an automatic out in RF every game..... at least give him a few days off to see if that rejuvinates him.

Washed up veteran? Nick just last year was on pace to have one of his best years. He also had an OPS of over .800 in April and May. Hes in a major slump. It happens. But to call someone washed up after a 2 month slump is premature. Funny how Flaherty was being run out of town 2 months ago, now he's gonna replace Nick.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/120909-Markakis?p=2753015#post2753015

Revisiting Markakis threads past.

Interesting to note that he bounced back last year after the initial panic. That said, his overall decline (save for last year's bump) is dispiriting (particularly because it happened during the years he should have been peaking).

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=br&url=%2Fplayers%2Fm%2Fmarkani01.shtml&div=div_batting_standard"></script>

I look at that and see a pretty consistent hitter. Nicks always been good for around .290/.360/.440/.800. If Nick had put up identical numbers but had a few 25 HR seasons in there, no one would be complaining. Nick always has taken a beating because he never became the 25-30 HR guy everyone wanted. After all of the failures to find a LFer, people will appreciate the consistency Nick put up in RF when he's gone.

If he has a couple down years in a row I do not think the fanbase would be up in arms about not paying him 17 million.

I don't live in Maryland so I can't speak for there but Nationally Nick isn't even close to being the face of the franchise.

He was the face of the franchise though... for several years.

I wasn't really referring to the fan reaction I guess... more the FO. Angelos loves Nick and I can't see the Orioles just cutting him. I mean, they traded Tejada when he was declining but that was right after some PED allegations. Maybe I'm underestimating DD's iron fist...

I know this is a pessimistic view, but maybe 2012 isn't such a great year if he plays 160 games, like usual, instead of 104. The idea is not just based on him wearing down over 160 games, which previous stats probably don't bare out, but more on his propensity for long slumps and possibly having his injuries come at just the right times to avoid such a slump.

I think this is a strong possibility. It's not pessimistic. Ignoring it is optimistic.

You can neg rep me all you want. I don't care.

You can place me on ignore. I don't care.

I am simply making the point that Markakis is stinking up the joint while collecting 15 million. I'm sorry if that hurts your feelings.

You seem to have a massive disconnect between what you think you're saying and what you're actually saying. Your failure in delivery is probably what leads to the neg reps.

Nobody is denying that Markakis is struggling, or that he's overpaid. But you said he's "laughing all the way to the bank," implying that he somehow doesn't care (or is even taking delight) about his struggles because he's being paid millions. What exactly do you know about Markakis that would make you think that's the case?

I suggested this several times, and my inbox got lit up with neg reps. Some people here are living in fantasy land.

There is no way Nick is getting benched. He is laughing all the way to the bank while the ship sinks.

There is no proof that Nick was ever on PED's. To suggest he was without any

proof is being sleazy.

If Nick can work the count and draw more walks like he did in 2008, that would bring some value to the lineup next season. It doesn't look like he'll be a 15 HR type OF going forward. Pretty sure next season will be his last, because he isnt really useful as a bench option.

If Nick can work the count and draw more walks like he did in 2008, that would bring some value to the lineup next season. It doesn't look like he'll be a 15 HR type OF going forward. Pretty sure next season will be his last, because he isnt really useful as a bench option.

Harder to draw walks when pitchers don't have to respect your power.

Archived