TheSun Says The Orioles Have Claimed Willingham and Trying to Work Out A Trade

section18

How is a declining 34 yr old not very good outfielder / DH with a .215/.347/.391 batting line going to help the rapidly falling Orioles down the stretch, or even next year?

Sorry, I don't see it. More like a desperation move of too little, too late.

I don't get giving anything of value up for him if we are covering $7M-$8M of his salary in 2014. This is the move you make when you do not have the budget to get the better DH or position player for twice that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A fringe top-15 prospect when we have a lot of pitching depth building in the minors now. I'm happy that he's finally having SOME success at age 22 in his 3rd year of low-A ball, but that's exactly the kind of guy I'm willing to give up.

I look at this move as a salary dump. Look at what we gave up for JJ Hardy. When teams wants to shed salary for next season, they don't get anything in return. Bridwell has some value. I'm not willing to give that up for Willingham who I'm not thrilled about paying $7 million for next season after the year he's had this year.

I think this is okay move. I would like to see it, but wouldn't be devastated if it didn't happen because that would simply mean the Twins wanted too much. If we can get him for a fringe guy or two I am for it.

In 2013, it would provide a bit more stability from the DH spot and while I think the division is now completely out of reach (especially if we lose tonight), the wildcard is still within reach (even if it's getting less and less likely).

For 2014, I think the move could really help. With Willingham in the fold, we would only really need to worry about LF (hopefully a resign of McLouth) and 2B (I'd like to see Schoop this September to evaluate him for this spot). If Roberts keeps it up, I think he'd be a reasonable resign on a cheaper deal.

That would then leave bench depth and PITCHING as the main targets for DD this winter. With the offense mostly resolved, he can turn his attention to pitching and really improve this team where it needs it the most.

If Minnesota looks at is as a salary dump strictly, I agree. But if that were the case, why wouldn't they just let him go as a waiver claim?

Willingham is a perfect fit at OPACY, and his on-base skills are exactly what this team could use. $7M is no small amount, but I think he's a good candidate to bounce back, especially on a team where he could DH primarily.

I'd love to get him for less, but Bridwell is probably the top of what I'd be willing to offer to get him.

A fringe top-15 prospect when we have a lot of pitching depth building in the minors now. I'm happy that he's finally having SOME success at age 22 in his 3rd year of low-A ball, but that's exactly the kind of guy I'm willing to give up.

Exactly. Look at the Orioles pitching. How many homegrown players are in the rotation? Zero. Everybody was aquired by trade or FA. We can't seem to develop arms so let's at least deal them for ML talent that can belp instead of seeing them fail in our organization with no return.

Exactly. Look at the Orioles pitching. How many homegrown players are in the rotation? Zero. Everybody was aquired by trade or FA. We can't seem to develop arms so let's at least deal them for ML talent that can belp instead of seeing them fail in our organization with no return.

...well that's one depressing way to think about it :o

I agree, though, giving up a fringe arm for Willingham is the right move.

...well that's one depressing way to think about it :o

I agree, though, giving up a fringe arm for Willingham is the right move.

Bridwell though would not be a fringe arm in my opinion. A guy like Bascom or Trent Howard would be just fine. In fact, I'll give them both. I'm a little concerned over the knee problems. He missed some time with it two years in a row now and that batting average has really dropped this year. I just think we can find a better option this winter for about the same or less money if the Twins really want players of value as The Sun is reporting.

Tillman certainly was developed by the O's. His mechanics are completely different from when he arrived.

Bridwell though would not be a fringe arm in my opinion. A guy like Bascom or Trent Howard would be just fine. In fact, I'll give them both. I'm a little concerned over the knee problems. He missed some time with it two years in a row now and that batting average has really dropped this year. I just think we can find a better option this winter for about the same or less money if the Twins really want players of value as The Sun is reporting.

You might be right, I don't know enough about Bridwell to talk intelligently.

I will, however, talk intelligently about the Twins. They're a lot closer than people think right now. They have good walk rates and better pitching than people think, plus a lot of young help on the way.

The O's need to get younger and especially faster. Jones and McClouth are the only starters with above average speed.

We don't need a 35 yo Josh Willingham, not this year and not next for 7 million dollars (JJ Hoes will have a higher OPS next year)

The Orioles are tied for the 4th youngest team in baseball....

Archived