TheSun Says The Orioles Have Claimed Willingham and Trying to Work Out A Trade

section18

Is Willingham a better option at DH than other RH bats like Abreu or Napoli? Forget this year. Too little too late DD

This would be about next year as much as this year. Career obp 360, career ops vs lefties is 865. Those two areas are in need with this team. Now I would have to see who we give up but in general, I am all for the trade. He could be our full time DH next year, playing a little bit of LF. Nate could still stay as well, and maybe we could add a RH bat or keep Pearce to compliment him. Either way it would be one less hole to fill in the offseason.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They've been claiming players all month. Willingham went on waivers just yesterday.

Actually they put him on waivers on noon Monday as it takes 72 hrs to clear waivers. Noon yesterday was the deadline for Willingham to clear. Several teams likely put in a claim on him, but the Orioles were awarded it as they had the worst record of them all.

Actually they put him on waivers on noon Monday as it takes 72 hrs to clear waivers. Noon yesterday was the deadline for Willingham to clear. Several teams likely put in a claim on him, but the Orioles were awarded it as they had the worst record of them all.
And the AL gets first crack at AL players so NL team would have to wait to see if all AL teams passed.

This team paid that much for a washed up Vlad Guerrero. I'm willing to bet Willingham isn't done yet. He's been hurt and there's a good chance he reverts back closer to his career numbers next year.
Willingham is a bargain for $7-8M in 2014, so regardless of what happens the rest of this year, hopefully they can work something out.

In what way is Willingham a bargain for next year? The Twins signed him for 3/$21 mm on the open market two years ago -- an average of $7 mm a year. When you sign a guy who is going to be 33-35 to a three year deal, the likelihood is that his value is going to decrease over the span of that contract. So, a $7 mm average implies the market thought he'd be worth less than that in Year 3. And he's been worth a lot less than $7 mm in Year 2.

Vlad Guerrero was coming off an .841 OPS season when we signed him. Willingham has a .729 OPS right now. It's pretty clear to me that gambling on Willingham in 2014 is just as big a risk as gambling on Vlad in 2011, and probably bigger. That's not to say I'm sure Willingham won't produce $7 mm in value next season, but it's pretty clear that there's a lot of risk involved.

In what way is Willingham a bargain for next year? The Twins signed him for 3/$21 mm on the open market two years ago -- an average of $7 mm a year. When you sign a guy who is going to be 33-35 to a three year deal, the likelihood is that his value is going to decrease over the span of that contract. So, a $7 mm average implies the market thought he'd be worth less than that in Year 3. And he's been worth a lot less than $7 mm in Year 2.

Vlad Guerrero was coming off an .841 OPS season when we signed him. Willingham has a .729 OPS right now. It's pretty clear to me that gambling on Willingham in 2014 is just as big a risk as gambling on Vlad in 2011, and probably bigger. That's not to say I'm sure Willingham won't produce $7 mm in value next season, but it's pretty clear that there's a lot of risk involved.

So in order for Willingham to be 'worth' $7M he would have to give us something like 1.4 WAR of value right? Ballpark anyway.

Prior to his incredibly steep decline for this year, Willingham has been worth at LEAST 2.3 WAR every season since 2008, peaking at 3.3 last year.

Seems to me that if you buy into the narrative that most of his issues this year are injury related, he could be a strong bounceback candidate for 2014.

How have the O's fared signing past their prime sluggers to play DH/corner OF??

Without looking it up my gut says it's been real bad... and I think Willingham is toast.

We can better use the 7 million somewhere else.

Jeez he is hitting .171 for August.

I'd rather have Flaherty

Archived