Carrie Muskat says Cubs and Orioles are still talking.

skiba7

Hill's peripherals are pretty good, but that 3.92 ERA in the N.L. Central isn't anything spectacular.

I have no doubt that Bedard would put up an ERA in the 2.50 range pitching in the Central.

Exactly...it's not a coincidence that many NL pitchers struggle after switching leagues--the NL just does not stack up to the AL. With practically at least 3 sure outs per game in the pitchers, I totally agree that Bedard would dominate in the NL.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, Bedard would be the Cubs #2. That'll make him even more dominant, IMO.

You know, if we want Cueto, Bailey, Votto, and a 4th from the Reds, it might be a good idea to get the Cubs involved. Haha.

WHile the Cubs probably would leave Zambrano as their ace, Bedard is better than Zambrano, IMO.

I would agree that the Cubs do not have enough for Bedard. Trading Hill in a package for him defeats the purpose of the trade. However, not to be a pain but I have a question for those who feel that Bedard is overrated. I have seen these comments from some Ms fans, Cubs fans, Indians fans, etc. Did you folks watch him pitch last year? I know he is not Koufax, or Christy Mathewson, or Walter Johnson, but can we at least agree on one thing. He is a top 5 MLB pitcher now. His "arm" injury last year was an oblique and should be a non issue now. Unless he gets hit by a tractor up there in Canada, he is likely to repeat his pitching performance in 2008. His W/L may be worse because of the loss of Tejada but otherwise I see no reason to discount what he can bring. I enjoy the discourse with other teams fans so don't take this as a shot at you, just a concern after seeing some comments made. Hopefully an equitable trade will be forthcoming so each team can be pleased.

About .08 points of ERA is the difference

4.51 league ERA to 4.43

Hill's HR rate can be attributed to his developing changeup last year

As for good pitchers, Oswalt comes immediately to mind, Peavy, Young

Sorry but this is wrong....The difference is about a .50 run when pitchers go from league to league.

And Hill's HR rate is directly related to the curve ball.

WHile the Cubs probably would leave Zambrano as their ace, Bedard is better than Zambrano, IMO.

Agreed. However, like you said, I don't see the Cubs moving Zambrano out of that role. Especially after they just signed him to that $90+ million extension.

Also, Bedard would be the Cubs #2. That'll make him even more dominant, IMO.

You know, if we want Cueto, Bailey, Votto, and a 4th from the Reds, it might be a good idea to get the Cubs involved. Haha.

Only because of seniority not because of talent...Bedard is better than Zambrano is right now.

Exactly...it's not a coincidence that many NL pitchers struggle after switching leagues--the NL just does not stack up to the AL. With practically at least 3 sure outs per game in the pitchers, I totally agree that Bedard would dominate in the NL.

Beckett and Zito are just two examples of that "theory" being too generalized

Sorry but this is wrong....The difference is about a .50 run when pitchers go from league to league.

And Hill's HR rate is directly related to the curve ball.

I'd have to ask you for evidence of Hill's HR rate being related to his curveball, and not his developing changeup.

I watched well over 3/4 of his starts last year first hand, his curveball isn't connected on very often at all

Really, please, go look at his stats and compare them with Cole Hamels.

Hill had the lowest run support in the MLB last year, and obviously, all you care about are the W-L totals.

This is a pretty drastic leap to go straight to W-L. Bedard had a sub 4 era against all four AL east opponents. His opp ba for the NYY was .153. His opp avg for the year was .212. Hill's was .235 in the NL. This goes way beyond W-L records.

I'd have to ask you for evidence of Hill's HR rate being related to his curveball, and not his developing changeup.

I watched well over 3/4 of his starts last year first hand, his curveball isn't connected on very often at all

Well, let me put it this way...Many guys who rely on the curve ball have high HR rates.

Either way, his HR rate is an issue and it figures to get worse in the AL and in OPACY and in the AL East.

You guys play in the NL in a terrible division..Hard not to have good numbers.

This is a pretty drastic leap to go straight to W-L. Bedard had a sub 4 era against all four AL east opponents. His opp ba for the NYY was .153. His opp avg for the year was .212. Hill's was .235 in the NL. This goes way beyond W-L records.

Here's a question, his numbers were very good against the AL East, how were they against the AL Central?

Well, let me put it this way...Many guys who rely on the curve ball have high HR rates.

Either way, his HR rate is an issue and it figures to get worse in the AL and in OPACY and in the AL East.

You guys play in the NL in a terrible division..Hard not to have good numbers.

Tell Steve Trachsel that;)

No, Hill's HR rate is not related to his curveball, he simply does not hang his curveball very often, it's related to his nearly brand new changeup

Archived