Is Wieters Worth $100 Million?

Bradysburns

I believe the Orioles are almost certain to lose Chris Davis, or be forced to trade him, especially if he puts up another monster year. No way they'll be able to afford him unless he gives them a financial break. Matt Wieters is probably the cheaper option if they plan to keep one of them. Offer Matt a 6/70 or 6/80 deal, and plan to move him to 1B in a couple years. I think Wieter's bat might become more productive once you get him out from behind home plate.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I think that's an awful deal for the Yankees. Signing soon-to-be 30 year-old catchers who already have over 1,000 games at the position is not a good way to build a winner. That they lose their first-round pick along with it just makes it worse, but I wouldn't like that deal even if they didn't lose a pick.

Man I think that's an awful deal for the Yankees. Signing soon-to-be 30 year-old catchers who already have over 1,000 games at the position is not a good way to build a winner. That they lose their first-round pick along with it just makes it worse, but I wouldn't like that deal even if they didn't lose a pick.

I'd like the deal if they didn't lose the pick. Some of the other posters are right, money doesn't mean much to the Yankees. Sure they would like to get under the cap but winning comes first. If they have to eat a few years of this contract they will.

Push comes to shove he is a significant upgrade at a premium position.

I'd like the deal if they didn't lose the pick. Some of the other posters are right, money doesn't mean much to the Yankees. Sure they would like to get under the cap but winning comes first. If they have to eat a few years of this contract they will.

Push comes to shove he is a significant upgrade at a premium position.

That is 17 of the ARod savings. If they get it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Report: Brian McCann on verge of long-term deal with Yankees <a href="http://t.co/4g0WE2mCkz">http://t.co/4g0WE2mCkz</a></p>— HardballTalk (@HardballTalk) <a href="
">November 23, 2013</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I will move this in a bit. That Makes Wieters more valuable ;)

It also means Buck doesn't have to worry about Wieters going to the Yankees in two years?

Or does he? ;)

I believe the Orioles are almost certain to lose Chris Davis, or be forced to trade him, especially if he puts up another monster year. No way they'll be able to afford him unless he gives them a financial break. Matt Wieters is probably the cheaper option if they plan to keep one of them. Offer Matt a 6/70 or 6/80 deal, and plan to move him to 1B in a couple years. I think Wieter's bat might become more productive once you get him out from behind home plate.

For Chris to become the force he has become, he needed to use a bigger bat to slow his bat speed down. What would help Matt to speed his up?

I can see the O's doing something similar for Wieters with his two arbitration years lessening the contract value.

McCann's 5/86 is 17M per year plus a vesting year at 15M.

Wieters could get 8M, 13M, 17M, 17M, 17M with a 15M vesting option. That is 5/72M plus a max of a 15M vesting option to make it 87M. That would be market value.

I can see the O's doing that.

Adam got 6/85.5M. This is in the same ball park. I think the O's value Matt as much as Adam.

That is 14.4M for 5 years or 14.5M for 6 years.

This would be Matt's prime years. Ages 28-32 with as option year on age 33.

It also means Buck doesn't have to worry about Wieters going to the Yankees in two years?

Or does he? ;)

McCann will be about ready to DH by then. I personally think Matt would like LA better. I'm pulling for the Dodgers to sign him. Dont wanna see him in pinstripes or pink hat nation calling him one of their own.

Archived