Assuming we use a draft pick to get Jimenez or Santana, shall we go ahead and get Morales?

Frobby

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I take it (usually) near face value to avoid falling into the "guy we just signed is obviously a positive WAR outlier" trap. Every player/team/fanbase can come up with reasons their guy will have a disproportionate impact.

Very fair point. I hope I made it clear that all I was saying was that Morales could have a disproportionate impact, not that he would. It's unknowable in any event, since a million different things go into what the team's final record is.

Very fair point. I hope I made it clear that all I was saying was that Morales could have a disproportionate impact, not that he would. It's unknowable in any event, since a million different things go into what the team's final record is.

All I know is Jones/Davis/Morales looks a whole lot better than Jones/Davis/Wieters.

Right. There is no reason to believe last year's .785 OPS, 2-win 30-year-old will get to that level at 31.

That's fair. But I also think it's reasonable to think that putting Morales in OPACY for 81 games and out of the AL West could result in a nice uptick in OPS. I would expect .825-.850, which would be a very nice boost in the middle of the lineup. Though, I wish he took more walks.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles not done....still alive on Nelson Cruz or Kendrys Morales</p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="

">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles not done....still alive on Nelson Cruz or Kendrys Morales</p>— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) <a href="
">February 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I told ya-within a week-one or the other. Nobody likes Cruz but Buck does, so maybe he sees something...

All these trade scenarios are just silly. Not going to happen. The #55 pick costs little.

That's fair. But I also think it's reasonable to think that putting Morales in OPACY for 81 games and out of the AL West could result in a nice uptick in OPS. I would expect .825-.850, which would be a very nice boost in the middle of the lineup. Though, I wish he took more walks.

But no difference in impact to wins and losses. He would have to have better raw numbers just to replicate his WAR total.

Also, WAR is not necessarily a great projection system. Just because someone puts up 3 WAR one season with a team does not mean they will put up 3 WAR the following season, especially with a different team.

Its an input in estimating future production, but far from a good predictor.

True, but the inputs that go into WAR are essentially the core of what goes into projection systems.

Duq has apparently said that now that they've given up the 1st rounder, it's a lot easier decision to give up the second rounder, so the implication is that they are likely going to try to sign Cruz or Morales. Considering what appears to be a lack of competition to get them, I think the O's are in a good position to get 1 relatively cheaply.

Relatively in the relative sense, relatively speaking.

It's all relative.

Archived