Orioles claim OF/3B Jimmy Paredes

Enjoy Terror

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Got it. What's the point in posting I guess:) I simply just don't think we need him. Useless move.

This is actually a reasonably post. It could be argued that we do not in fact need him and it is a waste of Peter Angelos' 50 k. I see your point.

This is the type of thread that makes me laugh. DD adds depth to a system that needs it badly, and some trash the move.:scratchchinhmm::laughlol: I find this to be a very solid move, nothing to lose here at all. If we can get him through waivers, then he is exactly the type of depth we need in the minors.

Here is the BA write-up from 2011 where Peredes is #7 for the Astros after being acquired in a trade for Lance Berkman from the Yankees. And, he was the main player in the deal according to the main article.

Background: Paredes advanced slowly through the Yankees system, in part because of 2008 shoulder surgery that pushed him to the right side of the infield. He showed enough tools in his 2010 full-season debut to be the key prospect the Astros got from New York in the Lance Berkman trade. Paredes ranked second in the South Atlantic League in hits (158) and third in steals (50).

Scouting Report: Houston has targeted athletes and speed while rebuilding its farm system, and Paredes fits the mold. He's both quick and fast, with an explosive first step and easy plus speed. He has a feel for stealing bases, getting caught just 11 times last year. He has more power and a better swing from the right side. As a lefty, he has a contact-oriented approach and needs to incorporate his lower half more in his swing. Paredes' arm strength has returned to average, and he has decent hands and infield actions. Footwork was a problem for him at second base, and most scouts discount his ability to stay in the middle infield. Some see him as a better fit in center field.

The Future: The Astros moved Paredes to third base in instructional league and were pleased with the results, adding him to the 40-man roster. He'll play the hot corner in high Class A this year.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/online/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2011/2611120.html

Good point. He is, of course, out of options but I think you're right - that's probably our intent.

Shortstop

J. Hardy

R. Flaherty

Second Base

J. Weeks

A. Casilla

R. Flaherty

J. Schoop

Third Base

M. Machado

R. Flaherty

Buck says Ryan will play all spring at second.

Shortstop

J. Hardy

R. Flaherty

Second Base

J. Weeks

A. Casilla

R. Flaherty

J. Schoop

Third Base

M. Machado

R. Flaherty

Buck says Ryan will play all spring at second.

I guess I would add Almanzar to that list at 3B.

I also like DeJesus Jr. and Phelps (who is taking grounders at 3B already), but they're not even on the 40-man roster.

I guess I would add Almanzar to that list at 3B.

I also like DeJesus Jr. and Phelps (who is taking grounders at 3B already), but they're not even on the 40-man roster.

Yes. Of course. But if we do add a pitcher and a hitter...

It should be an interesting week or two. One thing is obvious. Manny will be taking his time.

Archived