Jimenez is an Oriole

Dipper9

Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Are you happy Jiminez is an Oriole

He's the one I wanted. Higher risk, much higher potential reward. Higher upside than any of the free agent pitchers. If he's the pitcher he was at CO for several years and the second half of 2013, we're going to be very tough. Add that kind of pitcher to Tillman, Gaussman, and Bundy in 2015 and Frobby's thoughts of our WS potential seem understated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm happy with this. I'd have preferred getting a starter who didn't require giving up a draft pick, but having a genuine front-line starter gives the Orioles a much better chance of winning in the next two years than force-feeding Gausman before he is ready, or hoping that Zach Britton turns the corner.

There are legitimate questions about Jimenez, but he was a front line starter in Colorado and was a front line starter last season. He is a risk, but all pitchers are risks.

And as for the draft pick, the Orioles arguably gave up a package equivalent to a first round draft pick for Bud Norris last summer. Had the Orioles not made this signing, they probably would have had to trade for a starter at midseason anyway, if they are fortunate enough to be in contention at that point.

Gotta give Duquette credit for taking a risk. For now I love this signing. A few questions:

1. If Balfour passes his physical, do we have enough marbles left to sign Ubaldo? The Balfour fiasco may have been a blessing in disguise.

2. How will Ubaldo do compared to Garza? Ubaldo has higher upside but costs a pick. I was never a huge fan of Garza. This deal is slightly cheaper than Garza's but costs a pick. We will see what Santana gets but the dollar amount plus the value of the pick tells me that Duquette thinks Ubaldo is the #2 free agent pitcher on the market (Tanaka being #1). I think there is a very good case to be made for that.

3. Who could we have taken at #17? Time will tell if it would have been worth it.

Yeah, I love this signing!

Archived