Walks Are Not as Good as Hits

gpolee

I was hoping he would look at the site and educate himself. Sounds like the last time he read anything about analytics was in the 1970's.

I figured but I didn't think he would post the numbers if he didn't agree with them. So there they are, for posterity.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figured but I didn't think he would post the numbers if he didn't agree with them. So there they are, for posterity.

I appreciate you posting the numbers. I did not see them on bbref, even after posing the question. I wrote what I did as a gamble. And I still would rather have Altuve on the Orioles than Callaspo, regardless of wOBA or wRC+. There are probably other formulas than give Altuve the nod.

Wow, that's a pretty stern judgment of me. If I had known the numbers, I wouldn't have asked the question. If I had found the numbers, I would have posted them. However, I had to step offline for a little while - you know: Reality! -- so I was unable to do the research first.

Altuve - 85

Callaspo - 99

Looks like Callaspo is the clear winner here. If you're looking for a stat that proves BA > OBP, maybe you should just stick with BA.

Nope - my point was Hits are better than Walks, which appears to be the consensus. As someone posted: Hits>Walks>Outs, Except with those who want to compare walks to outs. But it's unanimous that walks are better than outs, so those claims are pointless. Later, that OBP has become overvalued, BA has become undervalued

• 2 weeks later...
Nope - my point was Hits are better than Walks, which appears to be the consensus. As someone posted: Hits>Walks>Outs, Except with those who want to compare walks to outs. But it's unanimous that walks are better than outs, so those claims are pointless. Later, that OBP has become overvalued, BA has become undervalued

Walks are great. It's just that the probability of a hit producing better outcomes is way up there. A walk does advance baserunners, it passes the baton, and starts a fresh count. Which is always in the pitcher's favor. By 60 %. So a hit is real good, and hits and walks together, well, they are super.

Hits definitely have the potential to do more for you than a walk at times. Especially extra base hits.

But the problem is if you walk you have a guaranteed positive outcome, whereas if you put the ball in play you do not. Also you usually make the pitcher throw more pitches........leading to him tiring more quickly, etc.

Hits definitely have the potential to do more for you than a walk at times. Especially extra base hits.

But the problem is if you walk you have a guaranteed positive outcome, whereas if you put the ball in play you do not. Also you usually make the pitcher throw more pitches........leading to him tiring more quickly, etc.

Right, but remember, I said "hits," i.e. "guaranteed positive outcome," not "putting a ball in play," which could be an out. We are not comparing not hitting balls to hitting balls; we are comparing hits vs. walks only.

Walks are great. It's just that the probability of a hit producing better outcomes is way up there. A walk does advance baserunners, it passes the baton, and starts a fresh count. Which is always in the pitcher's favor. By 60 %. So a hit is real good, and hits and walks together, well, they are super.

Exactly! - with the caveat that walks limit baserunners' advance to one base, except for rare occasions such as a wild pitch on ball four.

Archived