Ervin Santana now seeking a one-year deal (Braves close to a deal)

Greg

Someone has to get bumped right?

Johan wouldn't be healthy until much later anyways so ik sure Chen will stay as a lefty seeing as he'd be the only lefty on the team unless/until Johan gets healthy.

Actually after seeing how gonzo fatigued last year, maybe it would be best to use him for spot duty long relief to save his arm for the playoffs?

Again, none of these are bad problems to have and even without E. Santana, we still have plenty to look forward to this year .

But man, Ervin would absolutely be the icing on the cake for this team and would give us a rotation that could go toe to tie with anyone in the league 1-5.

Bud Norris was Houston's ace when healthy and he would be our number 5!

He already is going to be our number 5. But yes I agree with you! This signing would be exciting. My championship hopes are slowly building...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you're putting too many eggs in the Johan Santana basket and I'm confused at your lack of confidence in Chen/Gonzales.

With that said, I hope we sign Ervin Santana.

Not at all......I know he's a longshot to even make the team, but a man can hope can't he?

If we had a 1-5 of Tilly, ubaldo, both Santana's and Norris we would have 5 guys who have been staff ace's at one point or another in their careers.

Imagine the in-house competition that would create amongst our guys. It's fun to think about even if it never comes to pass.

Not at all......I know he's a longshot to even make the team, but a man can hope can't he?

If we had a 1-5 of Tilly, ubaldo, both Santana's and Norris we would have 5 guys who have been staff ace's at one point or another in their careers.

Imagine the in-house competition that would create amongst our guys. It's fun to think about even if it never comes to pass.

Time to play the "how crappy can a pitcher get and still be good enough to be the ace of the 2013 Astros" game! I'll nominate Steve Trachsel. Currently.

I will personally send dan duquette a bottle of scotch if he brings in Santana. I'm dead serious.

Imagine if you will, a healthy starting 5 in July that looks like this........

1 - jiminez

2 - Tillman

3 - E. Santana

4 - J. Santana

5 - Norris

Chen and gonzo in the bullpen/long relief/spot starter roles.......Gausman and bundy as possible call ups in September.

Long long way from the dark days gents.

Gonzo>>Chen>>Norris... If anyone is moving from the rotation out of the current 5 it's Bud.

Wasn't Arizona said to be interested in Bud last year before we acquired him? If we sign Santana, I wouldn't mind trying to work out a deal with them around Norris for Hernandez+... Would give us another closer option and really strengthen the pen.

Gonzo>>Chen>>Norris... If anyone is moving from the rotation out of the current 5 it's Bud.

I want to see what a fully healthy Norris can do.

Chen is the only lefty so he would get a spot by default over gonzo so that last starter spot would be a camp battle between gonzo and Norris if we don't end up trading him.

I think we've still yet to see the best Bud has to offer.

Wasn't Arizona said to be interested in Bud last year before we acquired him? If we sign Santana, I wouldn't mind trying to work out a deal with them around Norris for Hernandez+... Would give us another closer option and really strengthen the pen.

Maybe they can throw in goldschmidt, I heard he might be able to hit a little.

Not really a fan of the "sign Ervin/trade Bud" idea; I'd rather have 2 years of Norris than 1 year of Santana. I think that in the AL East and its tiny, HR friendly parks, Santana is less of an upgrade over Bud than a lot of people believe.

I don't understand the ESan love either. On his own "merits", plus weighed against what we already have. I'd rather have the third round pick and Bud.

I don't understand the ESan love either. On his own "merits", plus weighed against what we already have. I'd rather have the third round pick and Bud.

I think the difference is probably something like the difference between a 3/4 starter and a 4/5 starter. Plus the money would be better invested on a Hardy extension, IMO.

Yeah, Ervin should come here to try to drive up his value by winning a title.

His ERAs in AL East parks are:

Camden Yards 6.38 in 42.33 innings

Fenway 3.76 / 52.67

Old Yankee Stad. 5.19 / 17.33

Yankee Stad. 9.72 / 16.67

Tropicana 5.95 / 59

Rogers Center 4.15 / 52

His ERAs in the places he's pitched the most:

Anaheim 3.77 / 773.67

Kauffman Stad. 3.68 / 163.67

Rangers Ballpark 6.93 / 97.33

Safeco 4.13 / 93.67

Oakland Colis. 2.12 / 76.33

The Fenway success is a potentially important outlier, but, in general, Santana seems to be a pitcher worth pursuing if your ballpark is cavernous.

His ERAs in AL East parks are:

Camden Yards 6.38 in 42.33 innings

Fenway 3.76 / 52.67

Old Yankee Stad. 5.19 / 17.33

Yankee Stad. 9.72 / 16.67

Tropicana 5.95 / 59

Rogers Center 4.15 / 52

His ERAs in the places he's pitched the most:

Anaheim 3.77 / 773.67

Kauffman Stad. 3.68 / 163.67

Rangers Ballpark 6.93 / 97.33

Safeco 4.13 / 93.67

Oakland Colis. 2.12 / 76.33

The Fenway success is a potentially important outlier, but, in general, Santana seems to be a pitcher worth pursuing if your ballpark is cavernous.

Yep, I'm no longer interested in Santana.

Archived