Brian Roberts, Jim Johnson and Grant Balfour watch.

Ommaculate

I don't get this...I am glad to have DD vindicated on multiple levels for trading Johnson, but stick the dagger in, really? Does this do anything for the O's?

If Johnson had been light's out, I would have been very happy for him and definitely would not be hand ringingly, droolingly (yes I made that word up) happy over the prospect of him failing so badly.

Maybe I like the Twins.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough pill for JJ to swallow. The hits he allowed were softly hit. It also looked like he had a strikeout until the 2B ump overruled the plate ump and ruled it a foul tip that bounced. That eventually turned into a walk. On the other hand, the Twins handed him an out by trying to bunt, which was popped up. I really feel for the guy at this point. He may have $10 million coming to him but he can't enjoy coming to the ballpark every day right now.

Tough pill for JJ to swallow. The hits he allowed were softly hit. It also looked like he had a strikeout until the 2B ump overruled the plate ump and ruled it a foul tip that bounced. That eventually turned into a walk. On the other hand, the Twins handed him an out by trying to bunt, which was popped up. I really feel for the guy at this point. He may have $10 million coming to him but he can't enjoy coming to the ballpark every day right now.

I wonder what sort of long term offer was actually on the table?

Even if he rights the ship he ain't making 10M a year on the FA market.

I don't know if he gets 2/10 at this point.

Yeah but it's still early. I am not crazy about JJ but he's bound to get better unless he's injured or completely whacked out with his mechanics right now. We might be 1-7 if we had him to start he year. How bad would that suck?

But somehow these are the types of games that I remember from Johnson. He doesn't put guys away. A walk here, a seeing eye single there, and pretty soon there are two on and no out and bad things happen. Sort of like last night with Tommy. You put a couple of guys on to start the inning and bad things usually happen. We really really lucked out last night. I don't think Tommy is known for throwing double play grounders.

I wonder what sort of long term offer was actually on the table?

Even if he rights the ship he ain't making 10M a year on the FA market.

I think I heard three years 26 million. He can probably still get another's 16 million in his career. Right?

Yeah but it's still early. I am not crazy about JJ but he's bound to get better unless he's injured or completely whacked out with his mechanics right now. We might be 1-7 if we had him to start he year. How bad would that suck?

In think about that and hear Frobby talking me down off the ledge every time I do.

But somehow these are the types of games that I remember from Johnson. He doesn't put guys away. A walk here, a seeing eye single there, and pretty soon there are two on and no out and bad things happen. Sort of like last night with Tommy. You put a couple of guys on to start the inning and bad things usually happen. We really really lucked out last night. I don't think Tommy is known for throwing double play grounders.

He always hoped that before the runs would score someone would ground out. Or that he would have his good stuff that night and sneak a four seam past them.

He always hoped that before the runs would score someone would ground out. Or that he would have his good stuff that night and sneak a four seam past them.

I think that I was just unlucky in the games that I've seen JJ pitch in over the past year+. Either that or it's some sort of psychological bias - because my memory of Jim Johnson's games last year is a montage of runners scattered all over the bases at all times. I really don't remember any clean innings, although I'm sure there were many.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jim Johnson out of the closer's role.</p>— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) <a href="

">April 10, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Melvin: "We're going to give Jim a break" from the ninth. Now closer by committee: Doolittle, Gregerson, Cook, Otero all options.</p>— Jane Lee (@JaneMLB) <a href="

">April 10,

Archived