Schoop Making the Team

jtschrei

I don't see how having him up while Machado is on the DL for a couple of weeks hurts the team or his development.

I view it as a reward for all the hard work he put in during the offseason and spring training.

This. As long as we still end up with 7 years of Schoop, I don't care at this point whether he spends April-May or May-June in AAA. Because of the injury to Manny it helps us more to have him here in April. (That said, I do not know the ins and outs of how service time is calculated, so if we lose the 7th year as a result of this I would be on the other side).

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly right. He would have had to been awful to have been sent back.

It was a surprise to all of us, that while hitting .266 at Bowie-Class AA, he got a call up to the big league club, not stopping at AAA.

He smacked two home runs in his second game and a triple in his first game.

If they lose the seventh year it would be because they thought him being on the team all season was more important then the seventh year.

That should mean that things are going well for the team.

Agree. The best case scenario is that we lose the 7th year.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that they have to keep him if he's doing well. As was noted by another poster, they can send him down for any baseball related reason without a grievance being brought up.

He would have to perform phenomenally well for them not to consider his service clock, but if he did they could say they wanted him to get more time at 3B or get regular ABs.

With Machado returning it's not hard to imagine Schoop being stuck on the bench if Flaherty is also doing well and they consider him the best option at 2B.

It was a surprise to all of us, that while hitting .266 at Bowie-Class AA, he got a call up to the big league club, not stopping at AAA.

He smacked two home runs in his second game and a triple in his first game.

They didn't bring him up for a little look-see. They'd been teaching him to play 3B all season, even while he was playing SS. We had a big hole at 3B and they knew Manny could handle it. It may have taken fans by surprise, but his ascension to the big leagues was plotted out by the team in spring training.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that they have to keep him if he's doing well. As was noted by another poster, they can send him down for any baseball related reason without a grievance being brought up.

He would have to perform phenomenally well for them not to consider his service clock, but if he did they could say they wanted him to get more time at 3B or get regular ABs.

With Machado returning it's not hard to imagine Schoop being stuck on the bench if Flaherty is also doing well and they consider him the best option at 2B.

There would need to be (a) an injury to Machado or Flaherty or (b) Schoop drastically outperforming Flaherty for them to hesitate sending him down.

What to do if both Flaherty and Schoop are hitting 350 with power when Manny comes back? Interesting problem, hope it happens.

What to do if both Flaherty and Schoop are hitting 350 with power when Manny comes back? Interesting problem, hope it happens.

Send down Lombo. Let Schoop get the majority of time at 2B with Flaherty playing all over 3-4 times a week. Also, Manny might need a day off now and then for a while.

I like Schhop's bat and glove over Weeks' and Lombo's. As long as we don't start his service clock I'm fine with him being up. If he struggles he'll know what he needs to work on in Norfolk. If he does well, that's a good problem to have when Manny returns. I wish I knew how long he needed to be in the MiL to get the extra year.

It's impossible to know at this point, down to the exact day, but we can get pretty close by looking at past years. Here's a breakdown of the Super Two cutoff in terms of player service time:

2013: 2.122 (two years and 122 days)

2012: 2.139

2011: 2.146

2010: 2.122

2009: 2.139

Right now Schoop is at 0.027

It's impossible to know at this point, down to the exact day, but we can get pretty close by looking at past years. Here's a breakdown of the Super Two cutoff in terms of player service time:

2013: 2.122 (two years and 122 days)

2012: 2.139

2011: 2.146

2010: 2.122

2009: 2.139

Right now Schoop is at 0.027

I don't think Super 2 is a concern.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> plan on Schoop making team, alternating at second with Lombardozzi and third with Flaherty.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> plan on Schoop making team, alternating at second with Lombardozzi and third with Flaherty.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="
">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Schoop has played a lot of 3rd this spring.

I would have liked to kept Aceves AND Meek but we have a lot of options down in AAA and I respect Buck's assessment of how the guy would have fit in (Aceves).

I thought Weeks was a lock. I was wrong there. Schoop won, but let him play at 2nd. Lombardozzi is nothing more than a utility guy and he should play accordingly.

Schoop has played a lot of 3rd this spring.

I would have liked to kept Aceves AND Meek but we have a lot of options down in AAA and I respect Buck's assessment of how the guy would have fit in (Aceves).

I thought Weeks was a lock. I was wrong there. Schoop won, but let him play at 2nd. Lombardozzi is nothing more than a utility guy and he should play accordingly.

Just because Schoop won and made the team, for now, doesn't give him guarantees he won't be sent to AAA, when Manny comes back.

Archived