Schoop Making the Team

jtschrei

They may end up doing it, but just want to point out that Lombardozzi, Jr. is hardly a good candidate for platooning with Flaherty: his splits favor him hitting vs. righties (like Flaherty) and he may be even a worse hitter vs. LHP than Ryan is.

But wait, we "robbed" the Tigers. It was the 2nd greatest trade in Oriole history behind the Bedard trade:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette on O's game on <a href="https://twitter.com/wbalradio">@wbalradio</a> all but declared Schoop on O's open day roster. "Good time to see what he can do for maj lg club."</p>— Mark Viviano (@MarkWJZ) <a href="

">March 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dan Duquette on O's game on <a href="https://twitter.com/wbalradio">@wbalradio</a> all but declared Schoop on O's open day roster. "Good time to see what he can do for maj lg club."</p>? Mark Viviano (@MarkWJZ) <a href="

Woooooah! No Lomardozzi??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks to me like this is Heyman's speculation, not reporting.

Heyman has some strange reports and some strange way of going about his business of late. I can't imagine the Orioles plan to "platoon Schoop" while Machado is out. Even if he does make the team, and I still would be surprised if he did because of the arbitration and free agency situation, I have to imagine he would play pretty much everyday.

Heyman has some strange reports and some strange way of going about his business of late. I can't imagine the Orioles plan to "platoon Schoop" while Machado is out. Even if he does make the team, and I still would be surprised if he did because of the arbitration and free agency situation, I have to imagine he would play pretty much everyday.

Why do you guys keep bringing up the team control thing. School goes back down when Machado comes back so you lose zero years of team control by having him on the roster now.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Fans keep asking about Schoop and service time issues, arbitration, etc. I don't think that is much of a consideration right now.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

Dan said he thought Schoop should be plying everyday somewhere. He also said this would be a great time to see what we have in him while Manny is out. He also quoted Earl when asked if Schoop was more 3B than 2B,"if you have a guy who can play 2B and hit you 30 HR keep him there." From this I would conclude they will keep him on the team play n-himat 2B every day while Manny is out. Then they will see. DD didn't seem too concerned about the service time issue, but he was non committal.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Fans keep asking about Schoop and service time issues, arbitration, etc. I don't think that is much of a consideration right now.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

This is pretty much what I thought all along. If you have him up now while Manny is hurt, it has absolutely no bearing on any team control stuff. If he struggles, you can send him back down when Manny returns. If he proves he's major league ready in that time, then he's earned the spot.

I think it would send a bad message to players to say that it doesn't matter how well you play in Spring since you won't be able to make the ballclub, too. You need to let players have that motivation and earn their way onto the team.

This is pretty much what I thought all along. If you have him up now while Manny is hurt, it has absolutely no bearing on any team control stuff. If he struggles, you can send him back down when Manny returns. If he proves he's major league ready in that time, then he's earned the spot.

I think it would send a bad message to players to say that it doesn't matter how well you play in Spring since you won't be able to make the ballclub, too. You need to let players have that motivation and earn their way onto the team.

I'm surprised, and happy.

I'm surprised, and happy.

I'm only a little surprised, because the Orioles have a natural "out" when Manny returns, if Schoop is struggling. I really hope the O's play him regularly until then so we can see how he does against major league pitching on an everyday basis. And then we'll see where we are.

I'm only a little surprised, because the Orioles have a natural "out" when Manny returns, if Schoop is struggling. I really hope the O's play him regularly until then so we can see how he does against major league pitching on an everyday basis. And then we'll see where we are.

This will be what happens. Schoop will play 4-5 times a week. It's a win/win situation. If he's killing it stays. If he's just average or worse he goes down. We still have him down there long enough to get the extra year of control. I see Schoop starting OD but getting some games off against tough RHP's.

Right now Schoop is the 2nd basemen with Flaherty at 3rd. The bench looks to be Lomardozzi, Clevenger, Pearce and Young.

Archived