Hunter Harvey, stud

Frobby

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How far do you think this kid is away from pitching in Baltimore?

Next season? Two years from now?

Probably no chance we see him this year is there?

I don't think he gets a whiff of the majors until 2016 at the earliest, and even then, it will probably be well into the season before he arrives, even in an optimistic scenario. Mind you, he'll be 21 years old that entire season.

Part of the free bit from KLaw's insider column.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/keith-law/post?id=2470&ex_cid=Twitter_KLaw_DelmarvaWV

Harvey started the game working from 93 and 96 mph with 70-grade life on his fastball, getting tremendous bore on the pitch; he broke at least three right-handed hitters' bats over the course of the outing. He located the fastball well to both corners and in the lower third of the zone, especially working inside to righties. By the fifth and sixth innings, he was down to 90-94, but he still had the same command and life to the pitch. His curveball, which was plus when I've seen him in the past, was just average Monday night, although he did punch out four hitters with it (with three others striking out on fastballs). The breaking ball was 77-80 mph with good rotation but less depth than before, and he left a few of 'em up over the course of the game, including one that led to a single, plating West Virginia's only run of the game. Harvey threw only one changeup, a good one at 84 mph.
Harvey is ready to move up, at least to high-A but possibly all the way to Double-A, because he has the fastball velocity, life and command to eviscerate low-A hitters without needing to work on developing his changeup or tightening his curveball.

I was his biggest advocate the day of the draft and continue to think he is going to be a stud. The 2013 drat may go down as one of the best in a very long time and that is with no high picks. I love Harvey and Sisco has been almost as impresssive.

• 2 weeks later...

Harvey is currently scheduled as the starter this Friday the 11th on Delmarva's site on MILB.com, but since he's also pitching in the Futures Game on the 13th, I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about whether he will or won't be making that start. I really wanted to go see him pitch that game.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived