Suk-min Yoon

Greg

I can't image, he walking away from contract money, sit here, wait for them to release you and then go home with your money, they couldn't force him to play in the minors, because of contractual agreement.

That's not accurate. They couldn't option him. That doesn't mean they couldn't outright him and send him to the minors. To walk away means he is likely giving up his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's not accurate. They couldn't option him. That doesn't mean they couldn't outright him and send him to the minors. To walk away means he is likely giving up his salary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a big break for the Orioles. They don't have to pay him.

There might be some form of buy out in place.

It would seem that the Orioles interests would be best served by putting him on the restricted list and not paying him. But maybe that communicates other things to the Korean market for future deals.

It would seem that the Orioles interests would be best served by putting him on the restricted list and not paying him. But maybe that communicates other things to the Korean market for future deals.

He might be perfectly willing to forfeit the money and just go home. I am guessing the media will have the details within the next few days.

The other option is that Yoon gets to double dip and is paid by both the Orioles and his Korean team. That hardly seems fair. I'm sure there will be some kind of buyout and I wouldn't be surprised if Yoon's total compensation over the next two seasons between the Orioles and his KBO team adds up to around the $4.15 million he is owed by the Orioles.

Why not? Contractually, the O's owe him for two more years. If they work a buyout then he should get that buyout and whatever the market brings in Korea.

Contractually, the O's owe him for two more years and he owes the O's his services for two more years.

I don't know. According to the article:

이런 성적표 속에 입지는 점점 줄어갔다. 윤석민은 지난 시즌 막판 방출대기(지명할당) 조치되며 볼티모어의 40인 로스터에서 빠졌다. 이어 올해 볼티모어의 스프링캠프 명단에도 초대받지 못하며 상황이 더 악화됐다. 스프링캠프 명단에 포함될 수 있었다면 자신의 달라진 모습을 MLB 코칭스태프 앞에서 과시할 기회라도 있었다. 하지만 그 기회조차 잃은 윤석민은 적잖이 낙담한 것으로 알려졌다.

I don't know. According to the article:
Fell in the 40-man roster in Baltimore. Followed by Baltimore in the spring of this year's list were not invited nor the situation worse. Spring Training roster had been able to be included in any opportunity to show off their changed appearance before the MLB coaching staff.
They did not even want to see his changed appearance.

They did not even want to see his changed appearance.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Report out of Korea: Suk-Min Yoon headed back to his old KBO team, KIA Tigers. Reportedly 4 yr ~$8.1M deal. Never pitched in MLB w/ <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a></p>— GSI (@GSIntegration) <a href="

">March 5, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived