Kevin Gausman Today, 2014.

Bahama O's Fan

I wentto the game. The double should have been an out, but Urrutia slowed down approaching the wall, and completely whiffed on a catchable ball. In fact Urrutia looked terrible on defense all night, routinely missing balls in foul territory as well.

Gausman looked great. Got a little squeezed on the low outside pitch to lefties, but got one nasty strikeout to a lefty on a changeup, and a few to righties with the slider. He looked solid.

The Tides lineup is truly pitiful.

o

KEVIN GAUSMAN O (vs. AAA-Columbus, 4/26)

IP:. 4.67

H:o 3 (1 Triple, 1 Double, 1 Single)

R:O 0

BB: 1

SO: 5

Pitches: 75 (51 Strikes, 24 Balls)

2014 ERA: 2.53 (AAA-Norfolk)

PITCHES BY INNING

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls)

10 (71 Strikes, 3 Balls)

15 (11 Strikes, 4 Balls)

22 (15 Strikes, 7 Balls)

14 (91 Strikes, 5 Balls) *

* Gausman recorded 2 outs before departing in the 5th inning.

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still can't pitch 5 innings. Sad.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman is on pitch count at Norfolk so he's available sept and oct if <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> make playoffs. Threw 75 last nite. Had stuff to go deeper</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here for the 5th time

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Gausman is on pitch count at Norfolk so he's available sept and oct if <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Orioles&src=hash">#Orioles</a> make playoffs. Threw 75 last nite. Had stuff to go deeper</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="
">April 27, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here for the 5th time

Pathetic policy by the Orioles then. Limiting his pitch count isn't going to help him pitch longer in the season. Let Gausman learn how to pitch full games. This babying him is going to hurt him if he ever starts in the bigs again.

Pathetic policy by the Orioles then. Limiting his pitch count isn't going to help him pitch longer in the season. Let Gausman learn how to pitch full games. This babying him is going to hurt him if he ever starts in the bigs again.

Unless it helps.

I think eventually they need to let him build up to 100+ pitches, but they don't necessarily have to do it in April. Look at it this way: if they limit him for his first 10 starts, that might be 15-20 extra innings he can throw at the end of the year without hitting his innings limit for the year. Then in June they build him up to 100+ pitches and then he's ready for a promotion if he's pitching well and they need him.

I think eventually they need to let him build up to 100+ pitches, but they don't necessarily have to do it in April. Look at it this way: if they limit him for his first 10 starts, that might be 15-20 extra innings he can throw at the end of the year without hitting his innings limit for the year. Then in June they build him up to 100+ pitches and then he's ready for a promotion if he's pitching well and they need him.

See I could understand both sides of the argument here. But why this way with just Gausman? They did it last year too. There aren't any limits on Ed Rod, Berry and Wright.

That would be well and good except pitchers with this sort of inning limit progression get more serious injuries than those who are not on this kind of plan. Let him pitch.

See I could understand both sides of the argument here. But why this way with just Gausman? They did it last year too. There aren't any limits on Ed Rod, Berry and Wright.

Yes there were. And Gausman didn't hit his limit last year because he pitched out of the BP for us. They are building him back up.

Because we really aren't expecting those guys to pitch in the major leagues this year, except maybe a few innings in relief in September if they warrant it. The chances Gausman spends a part of this season in our rotation are pretty high, depending on the health of our existing rotation. Also, they all pitched more than Gausman last year:

Berry 152 IP

Wright 150 IP

Rodriguez 145 IP

Gausman 130 IP

So, they are in better position to throw 170 innings or so this year if needed.

Clearly you and Dan and Buck don't know as much as atomic.

I'm not going to comment on the knowledge of mdbdotcom, but the franchise's handling of Gausman in 2013 was lousy. Also, one of the things Gausman has yet to prove is the ability to go through a lineup 3-4 times, so the current approach of 75 pitch / 3-4 inning stints is worthy of debate in my opinion. I'm well past thinking Dan and Buck are infallible.

I'm not going to comment on the knowledge of mdbdotcom, but the franchise's handling of Gausman in 2013 was lousy. Also, one of the things Gausman has yet to prove is the ability to go through a lineup 3-4 times, so the current approach of 75 pitch / 3-4 inning stints is worthy of debate in my opinion. I'm well past thinking Dan and Buck are infallible.

Eveland and Gregg respectively did that for me.

Archived