Zrebiec: Other teams in the mix

JCK

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is the direction I've been leaning towards. Now I agree they don't have the greatest pieces after Colby, they have enough to get the deal done.

The real question would be why they'd want to. I guess with a new stadium and a competitive NL they can justify adding Bedard. Maybe if they're close come the AS break and Carpenter returns they can make a push for the playoffs. I'm not sure that's likely though.

Just what you said, a competitive NL central. It, more than likely, won't take that much to win the NL Central. There is also the probablility of either (or both) Carpenter or Mulder returning sometime this year. If either one of them can come back at near 100%, and including Wainwright, that's a pretty decent rotation for the playoffs.

This is the direction I've been leaning towards. Now I agree they don't have the greatest pieces after Colby, they have enough to get the deal done.

The real question would be why they'd want to. I guess with a new stadium and a competitive NL they can justify adding Bedard. Maybe if they're close come the AS break and Carpenter returns they can make a push for the playoffs. I'm not sure that's likely though.

I disagree, after Rasmus and Duncan, there is not much else that would be of use to us. There is no way they trade them both in the same deal, and as Migrant Redbird has said, most likely no way they deal Duncan at all.

I disagree, after Rasmus and Duncan, there is not much else that would be of use to us. There is no way they trade them both in the same deal, and as Migrant Redbird has said, most likely no way they deal Duncan at all.

Reyes, Herron, Hoffpauir ?

That sounds decent to me.

I'll tell you what, if AM is bluffing with the Ms at this point in the offseason, he's got some big stones.

It really doesn't mention another team actively bidding so I'm not sure how it's supposed to scare the Triunfel out of Bavasi.

Then again, secret agent AM plays it close to his vest.

"We're at the same place," MacPhail said. "Still talking. It's just conversations."

The source confirmed that there are other issues that need to be resolved for the trade to go through. One of them remains getting the blessing of Orioles owner Peter Angelos, who is dealing with a personal matter for most of the week. However, MacPhail has been in contact with Angelos about potential deals.

"I talked to him today, and I expect that I'll probably talk to him tomorrow him as well," MacPhail said.

So if AM has total control over baseball operations, why does he have to talk to Angelos about everything? Or is this business as usual with Angelos as the owner? At this point, I wonder why GMs bother calling the Orioles. Gather the information and make a decision. It really shouldn't be this hard, should it? Taking this long on trades is one thing, but if the Os expect MacPhail to sign top tier free agents in the future, he can't drag his feet.

So if AM has total control over baseball operations, why does he have to talk to Angelos about everything? Or is this business as usual with Angelos as the owner? At this point, I wonder why GMs bother calling the Orioles. Gather the information and make a decision. It really shouldn't be this hard, should it? Taking this long on trades is one thing, but if the Os expect MacPhail to sign top tier free agents in the future, he can't drag his feet.

Maybe because it's his money that AM is playing with? If I OWNED something, I would want to be a least notified of the decisions made with that something. And I bet all deals are at least made known to the owner at some point or another on all teams.

Maybe because it's his money that AM is playing with? If I OWNED something, I would want to be a least notified of the decisions made with that something. And I bet all deals are at least made known to the owner at some point or another on all teams.

Our payroll is going down, not up. AM shouldn't need approval.

I don't think the Orioles are taking on salary, so what do you mean AM is playing his money? If you owned one business I can see your point, but AM was hired to handle the baseball operations. If he is staying within the budgetary confinements of PA, shouldn't PA trust the baseball decisions to the guy he hired? AM is being paid alot of money to turn this team into a winner - 10 years of the Angelos way doesn't seem to be working.

Then again this probaby doesn't bother AM one bit because there are plenty of stories about how he "oversaw" every move Hendry tried to make and didn't allow Hendry to commit big contracts to free agents like Carlos Beltran and Rafael Furcal.

I don't think the Orioles are taking on salary, so what do you mean AM is playing his money? If you owned one business I can see your point, but AM was hired to handle the baseball operations. If he is staying within the budgetary confinements of PA, shouldn't PA trust the baseball decisions to the guy he hired? AM is being paid alot of money to turn this team into a winner - 10 years of the Angelos way doesn't seem to be working.

Then again this probaby doesn't bother AM one bit because there are plenty of stories about how he "oversaw" every move Hendry tried to make and didn't allow Hendry to commit big contracts to free agents like Carlos Beltran and Rafael Furcal.

Bedard is our most valuable player. If the Yankees were trading Hughes, do you think Prince Hal wouldn't be consulted? If The Bosox were trading Beckett, would Theo have total autonomy? If the LAA were to trade Vlad the owner wouldn't be curious? Get real.:rolleyes:

Rob Neyer Comments from this afternoon....

Goatcheese McDougle (DC): What the heck is going on in Baltimore? Bedard is traded then he isn't. Roberts was traded then he wasn't. This is getting kind of ridiculous.

Rob Neyer: Well, this winter brilliantly encapsulates the problem at the top that's made the O's sort of a joke franchise for roughly a decade now.

Sean Saint Louis Missouri: Hey Rob. What do you personally think of the Cardinals move to jump Colby Rasmus from Double A to The Show? Will it give him a chance to blossom early or put to much pressure on him to perform?

Rob Neyer: Depends on the guy, obviously, but a lot of great prospects have jumped from AA to the majors. Carlos Beltran, for example.

Floyd (Los Angeles, CA): Is there any way that baseball can step in and take control of the Orioles away from Angelos? Roughly like they did with Marge Schott and the Reds?

Rob Neyer: Angelos isn't nearly as foolish as Schott. Also, he's one of the most accomplished litigators in the world. All MLB can do is wait...

Archived