Last-minute attempt by O's to sign ace holding up trade

birdsfan4ever

I'm really not sure I would even want Bedard, anymore.

He's never pitched a full season without being hurt.

He's the 1st guy to take himself out of tight games.

His attitude sucks.

We could get at least 3 nice players, in this deal, with the chance of possibly 4 or 5 good players.

This seems to only happen in Baltimore.

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Extend him, trade him, send him to Japan. I don't even care anymore. This offseason has drained me of whatever energy I had left as an Orioles fan. I need Spring Training to re-invigorate me, but for now, I could give a rats behind what they do!

uh huh.....and you logged in this morning why?

By extending Bedard sets the rebuild back. It will not help the O's get any better. So yes he wins 15 games in 2008. Big whoop. This team has no SS. Hernandez and or Fahey are not good at SS. So they go into the new season with Scott in LF. Way to go Peter and Andy. So the team stinks for another 10 years. I am still going to cheer for the O's but thsi is very frustrasting. We are going to rebuild but golly we just can't tarde Bedard. Golly Roberts can't be traded. I like him too much to trade him. Phooey.

By extending Bedard sets the rebuild back. It will not help the O's get any better. So yes he wins 15 games in 2008. Big whoop. This team has no SS. Hernandez and or Fahey are not good at SS. So they go into the new season with Scott in LF. Way to go Peter and Andy. So the team stinks for another 10 years. I am still going to cheer for the O's but thsi is very frustrasting. We are going to rebuild but golly we just can't tarde Bedard. Golly Roberts can't be traded. I like him too much to trade him. Phooey.

With the writers strike still ongoing, someone should truly follow these clowns around with some video cameras (not HD though, God forbid!) and have a reality show ala the Truman Show to see exactly what goes on in that Warehouse every day. This stuff is just too damn good to make up. This has been a soap opera of dynamic proportions, and its not over. Oh no, not by a long shot. Somebody film this stuff...I beg of you!

So by your logic, AM either completes a trade with the Mariners or is damn close and then says to Angelos, "Hey! Maybe this would be a good time to try and extend Bedard and forget about this trade stuff". Your suspending logic if you choose this route.

MacPhail is clear. Prior to January 26th he was work under the belief that Bedard did not want to sign a long term agreement with the O's. That with based on discussions with his agent. In the Jan 26th Sun article:

"We wanted to talk about a multiyear deal and they suggested that they just do a one-year deal," MacPhail said.

On Jan 26th Bedard tells the Baltimore Sun:

Bedard said. "But I would consider [an extension]. I've enjoyed my time in Baltimore. But everything would have to be right, and it would have to be for what I believe I'm worth."

MacPhail and Peter discuss Bedard's change in position.

On Sunday Jan 27th as reported by Orioles.com Peter talks to Bedard about an extension. I have to think that the call was the result of a discussion between MacPhail and Peter.

'Sources close to the Orioles said Wednesday that club owner Peter Angelos wants to keep the ace pitcher and called Bedard last Sunday night to discuss a five-year contract. Bedard said he might be interested and would talk to his agent, Mark Pieper.'

That is what has been reported. I have no reason at this time to think it has happened any other way. If the Orioles now have information about signing their ace that they did not have before Jan 26th they had an obligation to investigate it and determine how serious Bedard is about signing with the O's. That seems to be what they are doing.

MacPhail is clear. Prior to January 26th he was work under the belief that Bedard did not want to sign a long term agreement with the O's. That with based on discussions with his agent. In the Jan 26th Sun article:

"We wanted to talk about a multiyear deal and they suggested that they just do a one-year deal," MacPhail said.

Bedard said. "But I would consider [an extension]. I've enjoyed my time in Baltimore. But everything would have to be right, and it would have to be for what I believe I'm worth."

On Sunday Jan 27th as reported by Orioles.com Peter talks to Bedard about an extension. I have to think that the call was the result of a discussion between MacPhail and Peter.

'Sources close to the Orioles said Wednesday that club owner Peter Angelos wants to keep the ace pitcher and called Bedard last Sunday night to discuss a five-year contract. Bedard said he might be interested and would talk to his agent, Mark Pieper.'

That is what has been reported. I have no reason at this time to think it has happened any other way. If the Orioles now have information about signing their ace that they did not have before Jan 26th they had a obligation to investigate it and determine how serious Bedard is about signing with the O's. That seems to be what they are doing.

Well said, and... good morning....

That is what has been reported. I have no reason at this time to think it has happened any other way. If the Orioles now have information about signing their ace that they did not have before Jan 26th they had an obligation to investigate it and determine how serious Bedard is about signing with the O's. That seems to be what they are doing.

...because you choose to ignore instances in the past where Angelos bypassed his front office members?

Like this :

"I just thought that Brian should stay an Oriole, not that the front office didn't think so, [but] they were looking at it from a standpoint of improving the ballclub," Angelos said in March of the vetoed trade. " ... There's an area where one might say that I have interfered, but I felt impelled to do that from the standpoint of keeping a player that I thought was critical to be part of the Orioles team."

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think that you're ignoring precedent in this situation.

...because you choose to ignore instances in the past where Angelos bypassed his front office members?

Like this :

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think that you're ignoring precedent in this situation.

It's pretty bad in the front office when it's a certified toss-up between going with facts & logic versus a disturbing precedent that nine times out of ten has thwarted said facts & logic.

Great posts and good morning! :D

Like this :

Perhaps we're trying to hold onto a positive view of this organization now until we have facts that cannot be refuted. If the past is any indication of the future, then perhaps you're right, but PA didn't have any issues saying he stepped around his FO then, and until he admits he's done it now, we say he hasn't.

Perhaps we're trying to hold onto a positive view of this organization now until we have facts that cannot be refuted. If the past is any indication of the future, then perhaps you're right, but PA didn't have any issues saying he stepped around his FO then, and until he admits he's done it now, we say he hasn't.

More discriminating folks around here would call you guys "naive."

I'll just call it "refreshing." :o

Like this :

I give the benefit of the doubt to Peter because MacPhail claims he has been talking to Peter daily. This is a different mode of operation then I believe existed with Flanagan.

Guest rochester

Did I read correctly somewhere that PA was not going to be available much this week because of the personal issue(s). I knw Monday was set but...

Archived