Where will Reimold go? (Update: DFA)

Aglets

I generally agree with your position, but I think you are overstating things. Delmon Young had a .695 OPS in 2011, .707 in 2012, .715 in 2013. His OPS was .687 as recently as June 8 this year. I'm glad he has had a hot 2-1/2 weeks (in 19 PA), but let's not pretend this guy is some tremendous hitter. He's a hot hand who seems relatively comfortable in his role. He's more of a sure thing than Reimold is right now, and as I said before, it seems to me that Nolan has struggled when he doesn't get consistent at bats. But Reimold could turn out to be as good or better if the O's went that direction, though I doubt they will.

By the way, it seems to me that a lot of people are taking for granted that we are seeing the "real" Steve Pearce. I wouldn't fool with what's working there, but this is a guy with a career .734 OPS in almost 1000 PA, even including the 143 PA from this year. There's a very good chance he returns to Earth in the second half of the year. Hopefully some other guys make up for it when that happens.

I'm happy with Pearce. I have no illusion that he will remain this hot as Cruz has not and Davis did not. So far Adam is the outlier.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By the way, it seems to me that a lot of people are taking for granted that we are seeing the "real" Steve Pearce. I wouldn't fool with what's working there, but this is a guy with a career .734 OPS in almost 1000 PA, even including the 143 PA from this year. There's a very good chance he returns to Earth in the second half of the year. Hopefully some other guys make up for it when that happens.

All the more reason to go with Reimold. He's more likely to be a guy that gives us quality AB when/if Pearce slows down. Young and Lough aren't that guy.

I'm a fan of Reimold, but there's no way you can count on him to stay healthy. No way. I think it's 50/50 whether or not he passes through waivers. I think the O's either trade him for a bag of balls or try to pass him through waivers. If Reimold were left handed, then he would have already replaced Lough. But he's not and so the O's will attempt to send him down or trade him.

I generally agree with your position, but I think you are overstating things. Delmon Young had a .695 OPS in 2011, .707 in 2012, .715 in 2013. His OPS was .687 as recently as June 8 this year. I'm glad he has had a hot 2-1/2 weeks (in 19 PA), but let's not pretend this guy is some tremendous hitter. He's a hot hand who seems relatively comfortable in his role. He's more of a sure thing than Reimold is right now, and as I said before, it seems to me that Nolan has struggled when he doesn't get consistent at bats. But Reimold could turn out to be as good or better if the O's went that direction, though I doubt they will.

He had a .782 OPS last season with an injured wrist. ZIPS had him with a .811 OPS going into the season and their updated projection has him at .891. Steamer had him at .774, and .851 now. His strikeout rate is respectable, he has decent power and speed, isn't bad in the outfield, and has a great walk rate. He's probably going to regress some but I don't think an .850 OPS is out of the question.

To add to my previous post, in his last 2 calendar years (97 games and 306 PA), Pearce owns a .294/.373/.500 slash line and has been worth 2.7 WAR. That's a near 6 WAR player in a full season. I'm not saying he is a 6 win player, but he has been hitting well for a while now. The best part is that he has a great walk rate and his BABIP over that time isn't unsustainable (.335).

To add to my previous post, in his last 2 calendar years (97 games and 306 PA), Pearce owns a .294/.373/.500 slash line and has been worth 2.7 WAR. That's a near 6 WAR player in a full season. I'm not saying he is a 6 win player, but he has been hitting well for a while now. The best part is that he has a great walk rate and his BABIP over that time isn't unsustainable (.335).

That is mostly all on this season though. If you look at his splits last season he had two month where he hit over June and September which he got a 28 at bats. The months that he played the most are the ones that were the worst. I just don't think you can count on a guy that seems to play worse the more time he gets. He is a great bench player sub not sure he has ever done much getting full time play a month.

That is mostly all on this season though. If you look at his splits last season he had two month where he hit over June and September which he got a 28 at bats. The months that he played the most are the ones that were the worst. I just don't think you can count on a guy that seems to play worse the more time he gets. He is a great bench player sub not sure he has ever done much getting full time play a month.

Right. He needs to be DFA'd and sent to AA/AAA if he makes it through. If not, we lose him. If so, we'll see if he still has the talent that he displayed in making it to the majors in the first place. A short AA rehab assignment likely isn't enough to do that.

He has had a freaky life and career. I never wished anything but the best for him.

In no way meant this as a personal comment concerning Reimold. Only that the "freaky"ess of his career has resulted in very little that you could call a "form." He's an easy player to root for, but an impossible one to place your trust in for any significant amount of time. There is no way that I would trade the reality that is Delmon Young or Steve Pearce for the vague promise of Nolan Reimold.

Archived