Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez does not deserves to be in the big leagues

Redskins Rick

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/09/giants-broadcaster-says-angel-hernandez-does-not-belong-in-the-big-leagues/Kudos for coming out and stating the obvious.For the life of me, I don't understand why MLB allows him to continue being an umpire.in 2006, SI poll of the players had him listed as the 3rd worse and that was 8 years ago.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/09/giants-broadcaster-says-angel-hernandez-does-not-belong-in-the-big-leagues/Kudos for coming out and stating the obvious.For the life of me, I don't understand why MLB allows him to continue being an umpire.in 2006, SI poll of the players had him listed as the 3rd worse and that was 8 years ago.

It's a Union gig.

Angel Hernandez is a Poor umpire, IMO. He has an incredibly inconsistent strike zone. TV doesn't give us a perfect view, but it is often evident when he umpires that there just isn't any consistency to what he thinks is a ball and what he thinks is a strike. Players are constantly baffled/upset by his calls on balls and strikes.

IIRC, he was the umpire that called a foul ball on a ball Chris Davis swung and missed (on strike 3) that the catcher retrieved and threw to first base. Hernandez then had a conference with the other three umpires and ruled Davis out. In fairness, all four umps were equally incompetent on that one, since once a ball is called foul, it is a dead ball - right or wrong - with the lone exception of a replay review of a home run/foul ball question (which is, of course, a dead ball either way.) You can never call a ball dead (foul) and then reverse it to a live ball. The foul call causes runners to stop and/or fielders to stop. By rule, you must live with a foul ball call. That reversal was a joke, and it ended up getting Buck ejected.

Having said all of that, this particular play was a balk, from what I can see. The video angle isn't perfect, but it sure looks like the pitcher stepped on the rubber, with his pivot foot across the rubber, toes facing home (wind-up position). Then, without stepping off, he turned to the stretch position (with the foot just in front of and parallel to the rubber.) That is a balk. He has to step off, pivot foot first, before he can change from the wind-up to stretch position.

Good stuff. I feel like Palmer regularly calls out him and Laz Diaz as being the worst umpires in the league.

I really don't like that call either. The pitcher was obviously no trying to deceive the runner or pitch from the windup. He was standing on the mound, fiddling with the ball and didn't realize he had caught like 2 percent of the rubber with his foot. That's an umpire nitpicking and looking for something to call in order to insert himself into the game. What a joke!

Hernandez is definitely one of the two or there worst umps in the game.

His attitude is abysmal as well.

Him and the ump tonight (AJ Barnum I believe) usually rotate between 1 and 2. Both are terrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't like that call either. The pitcher was obviously no trying to deceive the runner or pitch from the windup. He was standing on the mound, fiddling with the ball and didn't realize he had caught like 2 percent of the rubber with his foot. That's an umpire nitpicking and looking for something to call in order to insert himself into the game. What a joke!

He is constantly doing that. To Angel Hernandez, the game is no good unless it is all about him.

Protip: If more than 5% of the baseball fan base recognizes your name and knows your reputation, you are WAY TOO VISIBLE as an umpire. He needed to be removed years ago.

• 3 years later...

Archived