Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

Orioles standing in AL East at the All Star Break +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of second half +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of last nights game +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the end of last nights game +4

Orioles standing in AL East at the beginning of this thread +4

Orioles standing in the AL East 15 pages later +4.

Ha, Ha! Post of the thread!!!

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just don't get why people are giving Britton a pass on that 0-2 pitch to Cespedes. Cespedes has 73 SO this year throw 2 in the dirt and this game ends in a different way.
Because he hit a weak ground ball? Because he had just saved 6 in a row and 15/18 for the season is just fine? For crying out loud, a lot of folks were just talking about whether he should be an All-Star.

Also ........

Britton didn't get a single out last night, and gave up 3 runs.

That skyrocketed his E.R.A. for the season all the way up to ....... 1.86.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/brittza01.shtml

I believe that that is (part of) the testament to Britton's overall body of work this season.

Great post. This is the problem with folks that live and die with every pitch and every win or loss. To them if the O's lose, in whatever fashion, it's because they suck and did something horribly stupid or wrong. It's never because the other team is really good at baseball.

I live and die with every pitch, every win or loss.

I am the king of "One Game At A Time."

So, I don't believe that there is anything wrong with living and dying with every pitch, every inning, every game.

The difference is that that I try to look at the overall picture during and after every breathtaking win, and every crushing loss, and try not to make proclamations on the main board based solely on the latest big win and/or the latest crushing loss.

Lost in this thread is that if someone else had put two men on people would be clamoring to bring Britton in. You know why? Because he throws a sinker and has induced more double plays than any pitcher, starter or reliever, on the staff. Plus he is left-handed for the next two batters. And guess what pitch everyone would want him to throw to induce the double play? That's right, the sinker.

He needs to mix his pitches better, but the pitch he threw was the right one under the circumstances. He just didn't locate well and got beat.

Well said, my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last week all of you were saying Britton belongs in the all star game. I said he did not. Now you guys are saying we need a new closer? Because of one pitch? The train of thoughts that some of you have is totally illogical. I can only imagine how you act in real life.

You do not lose that game. With Jim Johnson, with Koji, with Kevin Gregg, with Tommy, with Britton. Not that one.

I know that you know better than to assume its that simple.

It's not that simple. But right now, that is the way his season projects. This is not Jim Johnson 2012. I am interested in us finding a way to maximize what we have. He's not a closer that we have to treat like one. We can bring someone in behind him and still utilize the great season he is having. maybe he and Tommy are BOTH better in different roles.

It's not that simple. But right now, that is the way his season projects. This is not Jim Johnson 2012. I am interested in us finding a way to maximize what we have. He's not a closer that we have to treat like one. We can bring someone in behind him and still utilize the great season he is having. maybe he and Tommy are BOTH better in different roles.

I'd throw him right back out there tonight. They were very fortunate last night. Zach will be fine.

Besides, who else are you going to put in that role? O'Day helps us more where he's at, and he's our best RP. Every manager in the game designates a closer, Buck isn't going to deviate from that.

Archived