Bottom line we need a real closer.

Greg

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL... "Superstar closer Koji Uehara" was the "wonky Asian dude with crazy sideburns and a nasty splitter" in Baltimore before he got to the bandwagon capital of MLB.

Sure he has a lot more value as a WS Champion closer now than he did when we had him and he was a MR, but the reputation leap you get as a player in Boston and New York is insane.

LOL... "Superstar closer Koji Uehara" was the "wonky Asian dude with crazy sideburns and a nasty splitter" in Baltimore before he got to the bandwagon capital of MLB.

Sure he has a lot more value as a WS Champion closer now than he did when we had him and he was a MR, but the reputation leap you get as a player in Boston and New York is insane.

I think the 1.28 ERA and 0.63 WHIP since he got to Boston might have something to do with it. Koji was very good for us, especially as a reliever, but he's been insane since getting to Boston.

I think the 1.28 ERA and 0.63 WHIP since he got to Boston might have something to do with it. Koji was very good for us, especially as a reliever, but he's been insane since getting to Boston.

But even Koji has blown saves, I remember last year, didn't he have 2 in 10 games, late in the season?

The way in which you stated your preference made it sound like a prescription. Either way, I can see why that kind of contraction would be confusing in certain contexts, but I don't think there are many ways to confuse "bar's been set too high," because...the bar's [what]? There's nothing to possess in that sentence.

This's FUBAR.

Take those same stats and put him in Minnesota or San Diego and he's not a superstar. He's awesome and we all know it, but he's a superstar now because he plays for the media darlings.

Take those same stats and put him in Minnesota or San Diego and he's not a superstar. He's awesome and we all know it, but he's a superstar now because he plays for the media darlings.

Well, I hear what you are saying. Joe Nathan certainly knows what you are talking about. But I certainly don't begrudge Koji the accolades. He's earned them.

Well, I hear what you are saying. Joe Nathan certainly knows what you are talking about. But I certainly don't begrudge Koji the accolades. He's earned them.

No, not one bit. I think he's legit. I'm only suggesting you'll pay the Red Sox Nation taxes if you try to acquire him.

No, not one bit. I think he's legit. I'm only suggesting you'll pay the Red Sox Nation taxes if you try to acquire him.

Koji has no value to the Red Sox other than what he brings back in a trade. You get no pick for him, and he is gone after this season where they will be out of the race next week. I am not sure what the best offer among the four or five teams that would like him might be.

Koji has no value to the Red Sox other than what he brings back in a trade. You get no pick for him, and he is gone after this season where they will be out of the race next week. I am not sure what the best offer among the four or five teams that would like him might be.

The Red Sox are only 7.5 games out of the division lead, and 6 games out of the 2nd wild card. I'm not so sure they will concede their season by the end of this month.

The Red Sox are only 7.5 games out of the division lead, and 6 games out of the 2nd wild card. I'm not so sure they will concede their season by the end of this month.

Well if they don't they will be losing out on a return for this asset.

Well if they don't they will be losing out on a return for this asset.

If they make the playoffs and Koji helps them do it, that will be a sufficient return, I suppose. But let's see what happens over the next 10 days. The Sox could fall back 2-3 games, or move up 2-3 games, and that will make a big difference in their playoff chances. As of today, BP gives them a 3% chance to win the division, and a 1.8% chance to get a wild card spot. If the odds are that bad (or worse) at the deadline, I'd expect the Sox to be sellers.

If they make the playoffs and Koji helps them do it, that will be a sufficient return, I suppose. But let's see what happens over the next 10 days. The Sox could fall back 2-3 games, or move up 2-3 games, and that will make a big difference in their playoff chances. As of today, BP gives them a 3% chance to win the division, and a 1.8% chance to get a wild card spot. If the odds are that bad (or worse) at the deadline, I'd expect the Sox to be sellers.

Me too. I think any thoughts of them in the playoffs is fantasy.

Archived