SBNATION: Why Ex-Oriole Bobby Grich will never make the HOF (+ why Jeter should not be first ballot)

weams

Grich's career OBP is 105 points higher then his BA. Schoop is not going to get close to that. I think something closer to Hardy at second.

Bobby Grich is more Hall of Fame worthy than Jeter. Schoop is not going to be half that.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weams, I take a back seat to no one in my admiration of Bobby Grich, but you are insane over this issue. Jeter is in the top 10 of all time hits in baseball history.

He had been involved more heroic plays for the Yankees than many I can ever remember.He's been on 5 World Championship teams, and only twice in his 20 seasons did the Yankees NOT make the playoffs . 14 times and All star, and 5 Gold Gloves. You REALLY think Bobby is more deserving of the HOF THAN Jeter? Really?

The hits are the only thing that has anything to do with how good of a player he is.

Its not all about the hits. Its all about the special plays and mostly its about the wins.Its not even close between Grich and Jeter.Jeter eclipses Grich in every offensive category and defense too, and Grich barely gets any votes for HOF.I would love to tell you Bobby is a bona fide HOF but he isn't. And Bobby Grich is a good pal of mine.

Sorry Roy but Grich was a LOT better at second then Jeter is at short. It isn't even close.

Bref has Jeter at 72.1 WAR over 20 seasons and Grich at 70.9 WAR over 17 seasons. Fangraphs has it at 74.3 for Jeter and 69.1 for Grich.

If Jeter is a no doubt first ballot inner circle guy then Grich should be in.

Weams, I take a back seat to no one in my admiration of Bobby Grich, but you are insane over this issue. Jeter is in the top 10 of all time hits in baseball history.

He had been involved more heroic plays for the Yankees than many I can ever remember.He's been on 5 World Championship teams, and only twice in his 20 seasons did the Yankees NOT make the playoffs . 14 times and All star, and 5 Gold Gloves. You REALLY think Bobby is more deserving of the HOF THAN Jeter? Really?

Most of the stuff for which you're giving Jeter praise, he has no control over. Same for Grich. If Grich played the same time as Jeter and for the Yankees, people would be calling Bobby Grich the second coming. Still it remains that Grich amassed comparable worth as a player in far less time than Jeter.

Sorry Roy but Grich was a LOT better at second then Jeter is at short. It isn't even close.

Bref has Jeter at 72.1 WAR over 20 seasons and Grich at 62.1 WAR over 17 seasons. Fangraphs has it at 74.3 for Jeter and 69.1 for Grich.

If Jeter is a no doubt first ballot inner circle guy then Grich should be in.

Grich is at 70.9 rWAR. The case could be made, taking the Jeter's Godlike allure away, that Grich was the better player.

What determines Hall worthiness? Not trying to be snarky.

I don't know. There's a lot of subjectiveness. I think the counting stats are important. 3,400 hits is a no doubt, first ballot resume. That's not to say he's easily a better SS than Trammell, but career accomplishments make him more worthy, IMO.

Archived