AJ's approach: Are you fine with it?

tettleton14

Wait a minute...

a .285 BA is close to a .323 ?!?!?!..... No way in hell man... Trouts numbers in 2013 were MVP like, Jones not even close.

If you look at 2014 Jones is hitting .300 compared to trout .310. Trout is a better player but nobody is saying aj is better, just that aj is awesome and hangouters should appreciate that.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jones contract runs through age 32, at which point an average player is at an average of 90-couple percent of their peak production. I'm not particularly concerned about his later decline phase, and won't be unless they resign him to a unjustifiable extension.

I think depending what we have in place at that point in center, he could extend his career as a COF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that's pretty likely. Range has never been his strongest attribute, and by the time he's in his mid-30s he'll probably have to slide to a corner.

His arm would profile well there and I think he'd still have range that would make him a + for a COF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple question, but I know it's a point of contention. Would you want Adam to become more selective (say, walking 2-3x as much as he does) or are you just fine and dandy with what he currently is. I can see both sides. He's clearly well aware of his free-swinging mentality and openly talks about it.

I'm firmly on team #simplyaj10 and don't want him to change anything, as he gets better every year, is consistent and you never know how becoming more selective would affect the rest of his production.

The guy belted two HR's last night and won the game, he is who he is, a productive CF like his approach or not.

Let's put it this way there are A LOT of MLB TEAMS that would LOVE TO HAVE AJ and his present approach to the game ;)

Wait a minute...

a .285 BA is close to a .323 ?!?!?!..... No way in hell man... Trouts numbers in 2013 were MVP like, Jones not even close.

How many Gold Gloves does Trout have? Jones defensive stats have been higher the last 2 years.

If you look at 2014 Jones is hitting .300 compared to trout .310. Trout is a better player but nobody is saying aj is better, just that aj is awesome and hangouters should appreciate that.

If Trout was an Oriole people on here would be complaining about some part of his game as well. Jones has a lot more personality than Trout. Anyway who cares. If Jones is a top 10 player in the league that should be good enough for everyone.

If Trout was an Oriole people on here would be complaining about some part of his game as well. Jones has a lot more personality than Trout. Anyway who cares. If Jones is a top 10 player in the league that should be good enough for everyone.

No one is complaining at Jones. He's getting better and better each season. Sure he has a few flaws in his game but we are all thankful he extended his time here.

The guy belted two HR's last night and won the game, he is who he is, a productive CF like his approach or not.

Let's put it this way EVERY MLB TEAM would LOVE TO HAVE AJ and his present approach to the game ;)

Every One of them.

To add to this, I don't know of any evidence that players with poor plate discipline age better or worse than those with good plate discipline. You can find a fair number of players out of the Adam Jones mold who had very long careers. I mentioned Clemente. Andre Dawson is another example. Miguel Tejada, at 35, hit .313 with 46 doubles, had a 110 OPS+, made the All Star team, got some down-ballot MVP support... and walked a completely unacceptable 19 times in 685 PAs. Marquis Grissom was still a pretty good outfielder at 36, despite 20 walks in over 600 PAs. And, of course, Vlad had less than 500 unintentional walks in his entire 16-year career yet was pretty productive right up until the moment the Orioles acquired him.

I think Vlad is a good example of why using BB% to measure plate discipline can be misleading. Guerrero, for all his terribly free-swinging ways, isn't going to swing at 4 pitches in the left-handed batter's box. The key for Jones to draw more walks is to hit more home runs.

edit: to answer the OP's question, I am fine with Jones' approach as long as he doesn't start pressing when the opposing team starts throwing him junk. With Davis and Cruz slumping behind him, it's bound to happen. His walk rate will come around if he keeps hitting. He is clearly making strides in recognizing and laying off the junk. I think that his lack of walks is partly because he's just not missing the ball when it's in the zone.

I think Vlad is a good example of why using BB% to measure plate discipline can be misleading. Guerrero, for all his terribly free-swinging ways, isn't going to swing at 4 pitches in the left-handed batter's box. The key for Jones to draw more walks is to hit more home runs.

Only because he is going to put the second one into play.

Only because he is going to put the second one into play.

Only like 20% of the time. The other 80% of the time he takes a walk. He did have 3 seasons with a >10% walk rate. Even if 1/3 of those walks were IBB.

Archived