Is the Baltimore Sun right with their Top 10 Prospects?

wildcard

Haha - before Frobby brought it up himself, I was going to mention that he was still just smarting from the tongue-lashing that Bridwell's mom gave him :)

You're a class act Frobby, handled that much better than I would have.

If I had a kid playing baseball for the Orioles' organization, I'd stay as far away from here as possible. But I'm sure it is very tempting to find out what people are saying about your son. I'm happy for Bridwell that things are going better for him now than they were in 2012, and that he is putting himself back on the radar.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Sun just published their list of the O's Mid season Top 10 Prospects. I don't think Tony has done one since last November. The Orioles website has a list that considers that Gausman and Schoop have moved to the the majors.

My question is do you think the Sun's list is right for the current Top 10?

1, Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Ed Rod

4. Sisco

5. Alvarez

6. Walker

7. Tim Berry

8. Hart

9. Bridwell

10. Yastrzemski

Opinions?

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Sisco if he stays as a catcher would be huge

4. Ed Rod

5. Walker

6. Alvarez

7. Tim Berry

8. Wilson

9. Davies

10. Bridwell

10B Yaz

Haha - before Frobby brought it up himself, I was going to mention that he was still just smarting from the tongue-lashing that Bridwell's mom gave him :)

You're a class act Frobby, handled that much better than I would have.

Frobby is classy.

1. Bundy

2. Harvey

3. Cisco

4. Ed Rod

5. Davies

6. Berry

7. Jomar Reyes

8. Walker

9. Carlos Diaz

10. Alex Murpy

Your dipping way down in the minors on Reyes and Diaz. I can't see putting a guy that has just two weeks ago made it to the United States and is 16 or 17 and not huge signings.

Your dipping way down in the minors on Reyes and Diaz. I can't see putting a guy that has just two weeks ago made it to the United States and is 16 or 17 and not huge signings.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have 10 compelling prospects to put ahead of them.

3 things to consider:

1. The fact that a comment was made by someone in the O's organization that they make up for not having a pick in the first 2 rounds.

2. They come with very high praise from the O's respected veteran Latin scout.

3. Reyes is doing reasonably well, and Diaz isn't embarrassing himself.

I think the Sun's list is based too much on draft position and reputation. FWIW, here's mine:

1) D. Bundy

2) Harvey

3) Walker

4) Sisco

5) Davies (he's gotta be on this list)

6) E. Rodriguez

7) Alvarez

8) Ohlman

9) Berry

10) Wilson

11) L. Gonzalez (really like him)

I will say that I have been one paying very much attention to Parker Bridwell throughout this season and at the current moment, I am pretty high on him. Last year first and foremost, he put himself back on the map. He started missing more bats and lowered his ERA substantially from the previous season all while jumping up a level. This year, after starting out terribly, he has done very well and salvaged the season. If he continues to pitch well, I have no problem putting him in the same "tier" as the other pitching prospects not named Harvey or Bundy. Maybe not as good of a prospect as Rodriguez, but probably between him and Davies.

Keep in mind, Bridwell has a good arsenal, always had a big arm, it was always about harnessing it and developing his secondaries and developing his command. Looking at the stats over the last 3 years, he appears to be doing that and has been actually improving as he has climbed through the system.

I will say that I have been one paying very much attention to Parker Bridwell throughout this season and at the current moment, I am pretty high on him. Last year first and foremost, he put himself back on the map. He started missing more bats and lowered his ERA substantially from the previous season all while jumping up a level. This year, after starting out terribly, he has done very well and salvaged the season. If he continues to pitch well, I have no problem putting him in the same "tier" as the other pitching prospects not named Harvey or Bundy. Maybe not as good of a prospect as Rodriguez, but probably between him and Davies.

Keep in mind, Bridwell has a good arsenal, always had a big arm, it was always about harnessing it and developing his secondaries and developing his command. Looking at the stats over the last 3 years, he appears to be doing that and has been actually improving as he has climbed through the system.

The fact that Davies is 21 and having a solid season at Bowie despite some minor injury interruptions would prevent me from putting him behind Bridwell, who is 22 and still a level behind him. I realize Bridwell is a strapping big guy who can throw hard, while Davies is physically unimpressive, but I tend to give good performance at a young age a lot of weight.

Bridwell

Delmarva (20): 5.98 ERA, 1.62 WHIP, 5.6 K/9, 5.0 BB/9

Delmarva (21): 4.73 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, 9.1 K/9, 3.7 BB/9

Frederick (22): 4.08 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, 8.5 K/9, 4.3 BB/9

Davies

Delmarva (19): 3.86 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 7.6 K/9, 3.6 BB/9

Frederick (20): 3.69 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 8.0 K/9, 2.3 BB/9

Bowie (21): 3.79 ERA, 1.32 WHIP, 8.7 K/9, 3.5 BB/9

By the way, Davies is actually 18 months younger. Bridwell turns 23 next week, Davies doesn't turn 22 until next February.

1) D. Bundy

2) Harvey

3) Sisco

4) E. Rodriguez (still think he has big upside not KG, Bundy, Harvey but also being LH helps)

5) Walker (Not a 100% sold his power will translate but making big strides)

6) Bridwell (good stuff, starting show results, think he will surprise)

7) Alvarez (Impressing me this year....time will tell)

8) Davies (Just gets results)

9) Berry (Think at worst he could be a decent LH reliever)

10) Wilson

11) L. Gonzalez (really like him)

The fact that Davies is 21 and having a solid season at Bowie despite some minor injury interruptions would prevent me from putting him behind Bridwell, who is 22 and still a level behind him. I realize Bridwell is a strapping big guy who can throw hard, while Davies is physically unimpressive, but I tend to give good performance at a young age a lot of weight.

Bridwell

Davies

By the way, Davies is actually 18 months younger. Bridwell turns 23 next week, Davies doesn't turn 22 until next February.

Davies lower ceiling but higher floor. Bridwell higher ceiling and lower floor.

Like them both at this point. Guys who just get results like Davies does tend to be undervalued IMO

I didn't think I was getting personal. The 4.50 ERA in July is due to one poor start on July 2. Eight of his last 10 starts have been good, including his last two. I think my interpretation of his season is pretty objective. Just ask Bridwell's mother, who posted this two years ago when I said something critical about Bridwell:

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/124150-Who-are-our-top-five-pitchers-below-AAA/page3?p=2852168#post2852168

Wait a minute. If memory serves me right, Mama Bridwell is right. Frobby, didn't you buy your parents house. So you are still living in your mother's basement. Well kinda. ;)

Bridwell

Davies

I understand where you are coming from completely, and for the most part I agree with your line of thinking. I suppose I believe in statistical improvements from Bridwell enough to excuse Davies' age relative to his competition level.

Age is always a huge factor when analyzing prospects, mainly because of the projectability left, not necessarily physical projection but also the development left for a player to embark on his true potential.

While Bridwell is older by 18 months, keep in mind, this is a guy who was a 3(?) sport, incredibly raw athlete who did not focus much on baseball when drafted. So I argue that he would need more time to develop into his true potential and comparing what he is now to what Davies is now as a pitcher isn't as simple as comparing production and level of competition.

Archived