Andrew Miller Trade to Orioles

FlipCup

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right. Acquiring a RP doesn't scream win now, when the 2 teams ahead of you just got Lester and Price.

Two TORs that came out of our own Division. At the end of the day, it's not like the Orioles didn't want to pick up a TOR, but the price was just too steep or maybe they just didn't have the horses the others teams wanted.

I was ok with our starting pitching, but really wanted a 3rd dominant reliever. We got that in Miller. Would you really want Bundy in Tampa or Boston's system for a rental?

Right. Acquiring a RP doesn't scream win now, when the 2 teams ahead of you just got Lester and Price.

With the way some of your are talking, you'd think Eduardo Rodriguez was the second coming. He was the No. 3 prospect in an altogether underwhelming farm system.

Guest rochester
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just spoke to Andrew Miller at Fenway. Excited about the Orioles and "definitely" would consider return to <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/RedSox?src=hash">#RedSox</a></p>— Pete Abraham (@PeteAbe) <a href="
">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rental

I agree but what player in his right mind would say something different. I am excited about Baltimore and will never consider resigning with Boston after the season, no matter what they offer. What a really ridiculous question and not the first one today.

Can anyone predict if there will be draft pick compensation for Miller if he leaves via Free Agency?

Definitely not. Can't make a qualifying offer to players acquired during the season.

Two TORs that came out of our own Division. At the end of the day, it's not like the Orioles didn't want to pick up a TOR, but the price was just too steep or maybe they just didn't have the horses the others teams wanted.

I was ok with our starting pitching, but really wanted a 3rd dominant reliever. We got that in Miller. Would you really want Bundy in Tampa or Boston's system for a rental?

Walker is not in the Price deal BTW. It was just rumor.

I wouldn't prefer it because I think the other teams would still be better' date=' but I would get it and could get behind it because its a clear organizational plan. It's "something."[/quote']

I think the organizational plan is we gave up two first round picks and a lot of cash this offseason for Cruz and Jimenez. We just gave up our #4 prospect for Andrew Miller. We would of needed to give up Bundy and/or Harvey for Lester. We aren't quite deep enough in our minor league system to trade our #2, #3, and #4 prospects for two 2 month rentals.

You mean like signing Cruz and Ubaldo and losing 2 draft picks?

But even those weren't "win now" moves. It's not like DD made those moves thinking they were going to move the Orioles into the upper echelon of baseball. Those were moves made the strengthen the O's grip on being a Tier II team. And that was my problem with them. They were moves you gave up your first and second round draft pick for, and they didn't really move the needle.

But even those weren't "win now" moves. It's not like DD made those moves thinking they were going to move the Orioles into the upper echelon of baseball. Those were moves made the strengthen the O's grip on being a Tier II team. And that was my problem with them. They were moves you gave up your first and second round draft pick for' date=' and they didn't really move the needle.[/quote']

Then why did he make them? You don't sign 2 players and lose your 1st and 2nd round pick if you don't think you have a legit chance of contending.

Archived