J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

We are going to get lots of this. It comes with the territory. I think that what to do about Hardy is the toughest call the O's have to make this winter. Make the QO presumably for sure, then hope DD does what is best.

I have faith in what he is doing either way, but I like JJ and believe he would be the most important and most difficult player to replace.

:agree:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again I think its the years that keep the O's from signing Cruz.

He will get at least 3 years at 15 to 17M per year. I can't see the O's committing to that amount at 36/37 years old. Plus this his career year. He is not likely to repeat it.

Wouldn't we need to take the gamble on Cruz at 3/15 if we don't bring Davis back? Unless we completely do an offensive paradigm shift we need to hit HRs. If we DH him I think he could hold up. Let Markakis walk then cause he's making that now for 1/5 of the production. I don't think he need to repeart this year but 25 to 30 would be nice and worth the money.

Wouldn't we need to take the gamble on Cruz at 3/15 if we don't bring Davis back? Unless we completely do an offensive paradigm shift we need to hit HRs. If we DH him I think he could hold up. Let Markakis walk then cause he's making that now for 1/5 of the production. I don't think he need to repeart this year but 25 to 30 would be nice and worth the money.

Did you mean 3/45?

To elaborate on my predictions......If the above happens I think you MUST make a hard attempt to sign Wieters. I'd like to keep Matt but I think he'll want HUGE money and he's just not worth that. Maybe this injury helps us with leverage a bit, but I think locking up Davis at a reasonable price is easier.

IMO signing Wieters is iffy also. I think DD will wait until Feb and sign some bargains. He already picked up a leadoff hitter in De Aza. Paredes has the arm, mobility and bat to be good. I look for him to go through intense fielding instruction from Bobby Dickerson next ST to improve at 3B.

DD has put in place a group of scouts that find talent that other team give away cheap. And Buck has a teaching coaching staff that turns guys into steady dependable players. I think that is the plan.

IMO signing Wieters is iffy also. I think DD will wait until Feb and sign some bargains. He already picked up a leadoff hitter in De Aza. Paredes has the arm, mobility and bat to be good. I look for him to go through intense fielding instruction from Bobby Dickerson next ST to improve at 3B.

DD has put in place a group of scouts that find talent that other team give away cheap. And Buck has a teaching coaching staff that turns guys into steady dependable players. I think that is the plan.

Sorry, I am not sold on De Aza yet, nor am I sold on Paredes.

If these two guys are penciled in the starting lineup for 2015, that would give me some concerns.

But, for now, enjoying 2014. :)

Sorry, I am not sold on De Aza yet, nor am I sold on Paredes.

If these two guys are penciled in the starting lineup for 2015, that would give me some concerns.

But, for now, enjoying 2014. :)

I see a lot of people suggesting that De Aza having a starting role next year would be some sort of failure, but a lot of people want Markakis back and are totally comfortable with him starting. Does everyone realize that there's a good argument that De Aza has been a better player in recent years?

I see a lot of people suggesting that De Aza having a starting role next year would be some sort of failure, but a lot of people want Markakis back and are totally comfortable with him starting. Does everyone realize that there's a good argument that De Aza has been a better player in recent years?

Markakis is a gamer and a known product and yes, he isn't what what he used to be.

Personally, I am for bringing Nick back, if the price is right.

I didn't say De Aza would be a failure. Just, that I am not sold on that yet. As with most players on this team. The OH gang is split, some are hyping he guy the guy as the next savior and the other side is predicting doom and gloom. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Markakis is a gamer and a known product and yes, he isn't what what he used to be.

Personally, I am for bringing Nick back, if the price is right.

I didn't say De Aza would be a failure. Just, that I am not sold on that yet. As with most players on this team. The OH gang is split, some are hyping he guy the guy as the next savior and the other side is predicting doom and gloom. I suspect the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I personally hope we let him walk. He's not very good and I don't think he's worth paying much to at all. I'd rather David Lough and some low priced depth behind him be slated to be our RFer next season for near league minimum than give Markakis anything of consequence.

The thing that confuses me is that at Fanfest, Duquette threw cold water on any hopes that he was going to resume long-term talks with Wieters or Davis, but made it very clear that he was planning to discuss an extension with Hardy. Here's what I posted at Fanfest:

Dan: Told JJ Hardy we want to try to extend this spring. Tried twice with Wieters and once with Davis and really didn't get anywhere.

TonyS also reported Dan had said the same thing to a Delmarva newspaper the week before Fanfest.

Duquette could have just stayed silent on Hardy, but he went out of his way to say they were going to talk with him about an extension, and then it seems there was little or no follow-up. Very puzzling.

Before Manny's injury, I think we would have been in a better bargaining position. Now, I don't think I want Manny off of 3B. But if JJ does sign with someone else we could put Manny at SS whenever he's healthy, have Davis/Flaherty/Paredes/Johnson at 3B with Pearce/Davis at 1B. We pick up Nick's option, Jones in CF, De Aza in LF with Lough at 4th OF and maybe resign Young. Weiters comes back and helps the DH spot. This is 2015 of course and not further down the road.

The thing that confuses me is that at Fanfest, Duquette threw cold water on any hopes that he was going to resume long-term talks with Wieters or Davis, but made it very clear that he was planning to discuss an extension with Hardy. Here's what I posted at Fanfest:

TonyS also reported Dan had said the same thing to a Delmarva newspaper the week before Fanfest.

Duquette could have just stayed silent on Hardy, but he went out of his way to say they were going to talk with him about an extension, and then it seems there was little or no follow-up. Very puzzling.

There was followup. He has indicated there was. They were not close. Not to mention injuries compounding things. It's not confusing or puzzling at all.

Considering Boras represents Wieters and Davis, this doesn't surprise me about this.

As with Hardy, I have been puzzled by the GM and his master plan of action.

Archived