J.J. Hardy would like to stay, but 'everything changes' in free agency

wildcard

The smart thing is to make QO for Hardy and Cruz

We need to get younger, we need to be prepared to move salary towards the starting rotation.

I believe Hardy is already in decline (see fewest HRs in 5 years, problematic back), whoever signs him long term will regret it. Concentrate on finding young defense first SS or 3B (depending on who you can get). Gotta be some defensive whiz that is blocked by the MS SS. Like when the Red Sox brought up Iglesias who is a phenomenal defensive SS.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would he realistically be in their budget range?

They don't go after the higher end dudes.

I haven't seen any numbers thrown out.

Just because he is the biggest name this year doesn't mean he is that big of a name.

Since there is always a question about how power translates from the KBO and NPB to MLB I think a long look is needed before attempting to get him.

If my memory serves me correct. He wanted to sign and DD never engaged him seriously. All this talk of Hardy going elsewhere is DD's doing. He clearly didn't want to resign him so it shouldn't shock you when he goes elsewhere.

Maybe your memory doesn't serve you too well. There were two reports in particular you may have forgotten. One said that DD had reached out to Hardy's agent, but they were so far apart there was nothing to discuss. The other mentioned that Hardy was concerned about what position the Orioles would want him to play if he re-signed. There was a thread about that.

Maybe your memory doesn't serve you too well. There were two reports in particular you may have forgotten. One said that DD had reached out to Hardy's agent, but they were so far apart there was nothing to discuss. The other mentioned that Hardy was concerned about what position the Orioles would want him to play if he re-signed. There was a thread about that.

Well-if they are far apart.....then that tells me the Orioles weren't too interested.

I do remember the position thing. Yes.

But then it died....all you need to know right there.

I think the Hardy conerned about position was way over board, from the actual content. IMO.

IMO

He said he would like to know long term, if the Orioles were going to keep him at short or move him.

Good question and a fair question from a veteran.

It's a tough decision for both sides. If I'm Hardy, there's no way I'd take a discount to stay - considering he's been a bargain for several years for the O's. If I'm the O's, I have to consider that he's past the age that players generally start to decline.

This is the pretty obvious reality of the situation. Yet we have people on here implicating DD is not doing his due diligence ............... or worse.

Well-if they are far apart.....then that tells me the Orioles weren't too interested.

I do remember the position thing. Yes.

But then it died....all you need to know right there.

Yeah, we should have just paid pay him whatever his agent wanted I guess.

Do you really not understand the concept of too far apart?

IMO signing Wieters is iffy also. I think DD will wait until Feb and sign some bargains. He already picked up a leadoff hitter in De Aza. Paredes has the arm, mobility and bat to be good. I look for him to go through intense fielding instruction from Bobby Dickerson next ST to improve at 3B.

DD has put in place a group of scouts that find talent that other team give away cheap. And Buck has a teaching coaching staff that turns guys into steady dependable players. I think that is the plan.

I think both the Paredes and De Aza moves will benefit the roster in big ways in 2015, and I am eager to get both guys some more instruction by our staff. Paredes may be a better version of Flaherty after more work is performed on him, and if we have to carry both in 2015 we'd have 2 guys who can play anywhere. I suspect maybe Paredes goes to the outfield though.

Now factor in the result of NOT bringing back some of these FAs and we are adding draft picks. May not be "Plan A", but I am not so sure I dislike "Plan B" all that much. I guess it is an attractive consolation prize if we must have consolation.

Hardy's loss seems more and more problematic to me as the season wears on. Early n the season I wasn't feeling all that conflicted, but I can see how his reliability when on the field is necessary to having great defense.

Archived