Concerns about Detroit

gmelson26

Finally, they just kinda let me go, I don't know why.

So I walk around the corner,

and I'm like shakin' like a leaf,

and I thought, "This is a dangerous place"

Look, look... I'm in this band, you know, I'm in this band you know,

and we're makin' a recording, you know.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's lots of things that I -could- worry about. The high number of day games. The Cy Young Brigade that Detroit is sending our way. The pathetic options we have at 3rd base. The lack of Wieters and Machado. Tillman's last start not being particularly sharp. The mini-slump at the end of the season. How our bats went cold in the playoffs last time.

There's any number of rational/irrational things I could worry about with the club. But every time they've faced adversity this year, they've overcome it. And they've got as good of a chance of doing it here too. So I'm not going to worry - I'm going to enjoy our first division title in forever. I'm going to revel in not having to read about Jeter and the Yanks, nor the defending world champ Red Sox. I'm going to enjoy postseason baseball in Baltimore and root for the O's! Let the cards fall where they may... :beerchug1:

There's lots of things that I -could- worry about. The high number of day games. The Cy Young Brigade that Detroit is sending our way. The pathetic options we have at 3rd base. The lack of Wieters and Machado. Tillman's last start not being particularly sharp. The mini-slump at the end of the season. How our bats went cold in the playoffs last time.

There's any number of rational/irrational things I could worry about with the club. But every time they've faced adversity this year, they've overcome it. And they've got as good of a chance of doing it here too. So I'm not going to worry - I'm going to enjoy our first division title in forever. I'm going to revel in not having to read about Jeter and the Yanks, nor the defending world champ Red Sox. I'm going to enjoy postseason baseball in Baltimore and root for the O's! Let the cards fall where they may... :beerchug1:

Kansas City pounded Lester.

Look, look... I'm in this band, you know, I'm in this band you know,

and we're makin' a recording, you know.

Nothing like an obscure King Crimson reference to liven up a thread. I probably haven't heard that song since 1983. Hey, what else happened in 1983?

A team with below average pitching (ERA+ under 100), has only won the World Series 3 times in 106 championship years. (article written in 2011) Detroit's ERA is over 4, 4.01, and the O's ERA is 3.43. I expect to hear about 10x as many references to Detroit's "great" pitching as to the Orioles pitching. I am glad the O's are facing the Tigers and not the Royals.

http://www.hardballtimes.com/pitching-almost-always-wins-championships/

No, I saw you originated it. Just didn't add both quotes. Made me want t go down the basement and break out my old vinyl. Thanks.

I got old vinyl and nothing to play it on.

Was going to buy one of those new fangle record players that plugs into your computer or dvd recorder via a USB port and copy everything. But, I was warned that the quality was pretty bad.

[quote name=Malike;3648337

Oh' date=' yeah. This isn't Detroit. Seems like they aren't the only city to have bad areas.

You are right about Detroit not being the only town to have bad areas.

Unfortunately, the economy collapse of 2008 really hit Detroit hard, and at one point they were among the highest default rate of foreclosed houses and people were buying them and keeping them boarded up, until the economy got better before trying to fix them and flip em.

Archived