Roberts Must Go

Boston Dave

The sense I'm getting these days is that the majority wants this Cubs/O's deal not to happen anymore.

In December it seems like most did want it to happen.

What's happened since then is that the O's side got their heart set on Pie, which has always been unrealistic, and now anything less feels like settling.

Folks on the Cubs side have been drinking the Gallagher koolaid thanks to the weight loss and the 96 MPH readings in Arizona, and would rather just keep him and the other young guys that also have more value than they're getting credit for.

So let's all hope this one goes away.

I wanted to trade Roberts before the Bedard deal... now I'm kinda on the fence.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I disagree with this whole line of reasoning that Roberts must go. We're talking about trading a guy just b/c he is a certain age. I've not seen any indication that he won't sign here. We need Roberts to help the young guys along and be a leader on this young team. So, unless we are overwhelmed with an offer from the Cubs then keep him, his value will likely only go up.

First ... Roberts will not get 2 Blue Chippers... Look at the return if the rumored 5-1 is true. Bedard has way more value than Roberts.

Second ... Roberts will hit leadoff for the Cubs if they trade for him ...Otherwise thay might as well keep Derosa at 2B

Third ... @ Davearm Pie shouldn't be traded to the O's . He is the Opening day CF. AM is not that stupid. Murton, Gallagher, Marquis/Marshall & a A prospect for Roberts & Payton/Gibbons/Huff/Millar (Take your pick)

Why would it go down, teams are very likely to be looking for an experienced lead off man come trade deadline and he will likely be an all-star again. What makes you think he will have a down year?

He's over 30 and a good portion of his perceived value comes from his speed. That's a very risky combo. A slight hamstring pull and his market value plummets.

Besides, at the deadline you wont be getting ML-ready guys. Those guys will already be playing on their respective teams. You'd be getting guys in Low A who are much less of a sure thing, and a few years out any way you want to cut it.

And next offseason, he'll only be under contract for one year... so you're not likely to get much for him at all.

Besides, at the deadline you wont be getting ML-ready guys. Those guys will already be playing on their respective teams. You'd be getting guys in Low A who are much less of a sure thing, and a few years out any way you want to cut it.

I'm not sure that part of your argument holds water

Why would it go down, teams are very likely to be looking for an experienced lead off man come trade deadline and he will likely be an all-star again. What makes you think he will have a down year?

I'm saying it's more likely to go than up. I really don't see how it could possibly get much higher. Every month that goes by is a month less time his contract has, and another month old he is. His numbers probably won't get any better than they were in 2007. If he has a year similar to 2006, his value goes way down, and the steroid speculation could hurt that even more (I'm not saying I'd believe it, but it could play a big role in teams thinking about going after him). I think the market you're seeing right now is the the same as it will be in July. You're hoping that a contending team needs a 2b leadoff hitter badly and will be willing to offer a better package then. When you look at the teams that figure to contend, very few of them need a 2B. That's why I said if anything, his value will go down.

He's over 30 and a good portion of his perceived value comes from his speed. That's a very risky combo. A slight hamstring pull and his market value plummets.

And next offseason, he'll only be under contract for one year... so you're not likely to get much for him at all.

Well, I just don't know how much of that is true. If you can't get anything for players at the deadline then why do teams ever make trades then, just wait till the offseason.

Also, Roberts has not shown any signs of slowing down. Finally, I don't want to trade him, I'd rather we extend him, but would be willing to trade to the Cubs for Pie and more.

I'm saying it's more likely to go than up. I really don't see how it could possibly get much higher. Every month that goes by is a month less time his contract has, and another month old he is. His numbers probably won't get any better than they were in 2007. If he has a year similar to 2006, his value goes way down, and the steroid speculation could hurt that even more (I'm not saying I'd believe it, but it could play a big role in teams thinking about going after him). I think the market you're seeing right now is the the same as it will be in July. You're hoping that a contending team needs a 2b leadoff hitter badly and will be willing to offer a better package then. When you look at the teams that figure to contend, very few of them need a 2B. That's why I said if anything, his value will go down.

I'd take my chances.

I think Roberts could have a lot of value at the deadline.

I wanted to trade Roberts before the Bedard deal... now I'm kinda on the fence.

During games late in the season I could see the frustration by Roberts in his body language as he stood out at 2B. He said he didn't want to stay on the train for rebuilding. As soon as this deals announced he should have his agent call & ask for the door. Its not fair for to keep him here to endure what could be the worst Orioles baseball in history. After Bedard goes I would make a small wager that they finish last & lose 100 games.

The only criticism I have for AM if the Bedard deal goes through as rumored is we didn't focus enough on filling the Holes & the over focus on pitchers & getting a 30 year old guy in each deal.

Moving forward I would get Roberts out of here for the best 3 guys I can get 2 position guys & 1 pitcher. Then DFA Gibbons (eat the mistake rather than have him tie up a roster spot. Make sure Payton & or Millar go in one of these deal. Tell R Hernandez, Mora, & Huff give me a good/great 1st half production wise & I'll get you outta here.

During games late in the season I could see the frustration by Roberts in his body language as he stood out at 2B. He said he didn't want to stay on the train for rebuilding. As soon as this deals announced he should have his agent call & ask for the door. Its not fair for to keep him here to endure what could be the worst Orioles baseball in history. After Bedard goes I would make a small wager that they finish last & lose 100 games.

The only criticism I have for AM if the Bedard deal goes through as rumored is we didn't focus enough on filling the Holes & the over focus on pitchers & getting a 30 year old guy in each deal.

Moving forward I would get Roberts out of here for the best 3 guys I can get 2 position guys & 1 pitcher. Then DFA Gibbons (eat the mistake rather than have him tie up a roster spot. Make sure Payton & or Millar go in one of these deal. Tell R Hernandez, Mora, & Huff give me a good/great 1st half production wise & I'll get you outta here.

Why not just stick Gibbons on the 60 day DL?

You can never, never, never over focus on pitchers, especially when you're trying to rebuild a franchise.

Why does everyone assume that Roberts or Bedard wont sign extensions with their new teams???

I'd take my chances.

I think Roberts could have a lot of value at the deadline.

Again, I respect your opinion but I don't like the chances of him having better value at the deadline. It's awfully risky, especially considering that the package being offered by the Cubs is probably better than what the Tigers gave up for Renteria, who is arguably better than Roberts, and plays at a much more valuable position.

Why not just stick Gibbons on the 60 day DL?

You can never, never, never over focus on pitchers, especially when you're trying to rebuild a franchise.

Hank I agree that I like the pitching ... But with gaping holes at SS, 1B, 3B, & soon to be 2B .... You need to fix that more than getting a rp Mickolio, Sherill a 30 yr old RP ????:( Butler 19/20 SP w/ shoulder issues already).

Archived