The Case for Davis

FanSince88

Here's another question. If we play the way we have been playing' date=' what do you do with Davis in the World Series? Start him at 3B and sit Flaherty? Start him at 1B and put Pearce in the OF? on the bench?[/quote']

Start him at 1st and have Cruz or Pierce DH or play outfield, with De Aza to the bench. Keep Flaherty at 3rd for defense.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it depends on how he is doing with his addiction

If he is still taking adderall or other amphetamines I wonder if the O's would know it?

Do they drug test a player serving a suspension?

Would they drug test him in the ALCS or WS?

If he does make the roster I think it will be at the expense of a pitcher. If they O's were to keep all 6 of their starting pitchers maybe they would dump a long man like Brach

If he makes the team instead of Kelly Johnson I can't see it really mattering

I don't think he'll be on ALCS roster but they will put him on WS roster as long as they think he has his habit kicked.

There's no rational basis for including Davis on the ALCS roster. He could only help us if the Series went that far. You can't play a short bench for five games in an ALCS. There's zero chance this will happen.

If the Orioles win the ALCS, I think it's 50/50 whether he's on the World Series roster. I could easily see the team deciding to keep him off just because of his long layoff, the success the team has had without him, and the potential distractions he would bring to the table in the World Series.

o

I stated in another thread:

o

Pitching and defense.

That's what Buck has gone with all season (until we clinched the division), and that is what he went with in the A.L.D.S. against the Tigers.

We've got it covered with Pearce at 1st base, Flaherty at 3rd base, and Hundley and Joseph rotating with each other behind the plate.

To me, Chris Davis is not even relevant right now.

If we make it to the World Series, fine, but I would be absolutely stunned if Showalter went down a player (ESPECIALLY if were a pitcher) in any postseason games at this point.

I'm all for players getting 2nd chances (even 3rd and 4th chances sometimes) when they have made mistakes, such as Davis did.

And I believe that when his suspension is over, Chris Davis should be welcomed back to the team with open arms.

However ...... he DID get suspended for 25 games, and it's nobody's fault but his own.

There is no reason to mess with the roster and/or the chemistry of the team when they are/have been doing just fine without him.

Pitching and defense comes first and foremost. And amazingly as it is, the Orioles still have good infield defense despite the loss of 3 regulars (Machado, Wieters, and Davis), all of whom are either good or great at their respective positions. Pearce has filled in more than adequately at 1st base. Joseph and Hundley have filled in more than adequately as the two catchers. And Ryan Flaherty is generally a very good defender at numerous different positions, and he did well in the playoff series against the Tigers (that's a very small sample size of course, but like wildcard, I believe that part of the reason why Flaherty struggled defensively in his final 8 games of the season at 3rd base was because he was not playing there regularly. It appears that Showalter is sticking with him at the hot corner for the postseason, and he seems to be adapting fine, now that he is presumably there permanently for the rest of the Orioles' 2014 playoff run.)

Heck no.

If they win the ALCS, after winning the ALDS without him.

You go don't mess with that, unless somebody isn't healthy.

But if the weak roster spot is Paredes and Paredes didn't do anything to contribute to the ALCS, I see no problem in him taking Paredes spot, even if Davis doesn't start and is kept on the bench.

But if the weak roster spot is Paredes and Paredes didn't do anything to contribute to the ALCS, I see no problem in him taking Paredes spot, even if Davis doesn't start and is kept on the bench.

I am in total agreement with you. I hold no grudges, and have no problem with Davis going on the WS roster.

But he goes to the bench and not a starting player, unless needed to be. If I was the manager.

I am in total agreement with you. I hold no grudges, and have no problem with Davis going on the WS roster.

But he goes to the bench and not a starting player, unless needed to be. If I was the manager.

With the NL park rules, pinch hitters will definitely be needed. So the more I think about it, I'm agreeing with you. Put him on the roster but not in the lineup.

[video=youtube;U5EJFn6Dlwg]

With the NL park rules, pinch hitters will definitely be needed. So the more I think about it, I'm agreeing with you. Put him on the roster but not in the lineup.

[video=youtube;U5EJFn6Dlwg]

Paredes is going to get some thought about being on the roster for this same very reason. Pinch hitting and NL park rules at NL parks.

It might be Johnson left off the roster, who knows, at this point.

Buck will play it very tight to his chest until he has to make the announcement.

I don't disagree with OP, but some negatives to consider:1. Negative attention to the team for implicitly condoning PEDs. Every press conference will be about whether our success is tarnished and such.2. Additional pressure on Chris, which could affect his performance. He would get booed every time he comes to the plate and will feel like he needs to prove himself without PEDs.3. If he only hit .195 with the Adderall, imagine how bad he will be without it. Do we want him to be getting used to playing clean in high pressure situations that could determine whether we win or lose the World Series? We might be better off with Kelly Johnson or Paredes.
Very good post. I would only take exception with your last line in point #3. I wanted to start a thread on what the effect would be of Davis coming back for a possible WS return.I don't think there's any chance at all he's on the roster for this series, but if Ryan continues to play well and gets an occasional hit and walk is it really a good idea to set the balance with anything other than PH appearances from Davis? I'm not convinced it is.Flaherty has made a couple of plays now, I think it's clear, Davis would have had no chance of making. And if he's added and not used at 3B, is he platooned as a DH? Pearce plays solid D and doesn't have noticeable splits. Cruz isn't sitting. I guess Pearce would make the most sense, but I wouldn't like it.Has Davis built up that much good will with one incredible season that he could upset the balance of the team for the WS when we get there? If we continue to play well I see no reason to change things too much except maybe putting Davis on the roster for e WS.

Very good post. I would only take exception with your last line in point #3. I wanted to start a thread on what the effect would be of Davis coming back for a possible WS return.I don't think there's any chance at all he's on the roster for this series, but if Ryan continues to play well and gets an occasional hit and walk is it really a good idea to set the balance with anything other than PH appearances from Davis? I'm not convinced it is.Flaherty has made a couple of plays now, I think it's clear, Davis would have had no chance of making. And if he's added and not used at 3B, is he platooned as a DH? Pearce plays solid D and doesn't have noticeable splits. Cruz isn't sitting. I guess Pearce would make the most sense, but I wouldn't like it.Has Davis built up that much good will with one incredible season that he could upset the balance of the team for the WS when we get there? If we continue to play well I see no reason to change things too much except maybe putting Davis on the roster for e WS.

I think Ryan's play so far, has him penciled in at 3rd for the ALCS. I really do.

Now, if they are down 0-2 and he is hurting the team at the plate, then Buck might rethink it, but for games 1 & 2. I think its safe to say, we will see Flash at third and playing like Brooksie.

2. Additional pressure on Chris, which could affect his performance. He would get booed every time he comes to the plate and will feel like he needs to prove himself without PEDs.

Booed at Camden Yards for Games 6 and 7? I don't think so. Even in the WS there would only be 3 road games.

BTW there is almost no argument against putting CD on the WS roster. Because of the NL rules. Would anyone seriously rather have Kelly Johnson or Paredes as a PH instead of Davis? I wouldn't necessarily start him at third for defensive reasons, but as a LH PH in an NL park he has huge value.

Is the marginal utility of a Paredes, Jimenez, McFarland, or David Lough over the first 5 games really greater than the utility that Davis would provide in the last two? It's possible, but I find it doubtful.

That's the right question, but I'm sure that a realistic assessment of the odds would favor having one of those guys for four or five games rather than Davis for zero, one, or two

Archived