Can we stop with the,"Davis won't be on the roster next year" stuff?

higgybaby

I'm not ready to give up on him. Sure, he had a crappy year. But his presence in the lineup is still formidable because he can crush one at any given moment. Plus his amazing 2012 season...I'd like to think he can improve.

Honestly I think a lot of his struggles this year came from the defensive shifts everyone was putting on him. He felt like he needed to hit it out of the park every single at bat. Now if he can learn to go the opposite way...

And no, I do not think Steve Pearce is that good. He's a good guy to have in the starting lineup every 5th day, not every day.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's 50/50 Davis comes back. I think Dan is gonna have a problem with giving a guy 10 to 14m in 2015 when he's 1 test away from missing 80 games. Davis had 1 great year and that's it.

You keep bringin this up but what does it matter that he is one test away? He doesn't get paid while suspended.

One year/ 11 mil is a better deal than they'll find on the open market for someone with his career stats. It's a gamble, but a relatively small one as far as today's economics go.

If they absolutely must cut salary to sign someone better, though, he could be on the chopping block, which would have been unthinkable 5 months ago. But that would be an even bigger gamble.

Is it possible that Crush won't be on the team next year? Yeah, I guess it is.

It's just really really really really REALLY unlikely. If he was in line for, like, $16-18 million in arbitration, maybe he'd be a non-tender candidate; at $11ish million and just a year removed from leading the league in HRs, I don't see how it makes much sense.

See I would go with Pearce since more of his was on the defensive end.

I'm not sure what the splits are, but if I had to guess, I'd say most of his dWAR came from playing left field. I honestly think he's too small for 1B and he looks pretty awkward around the bag. There are some bang-bang plays and balls that are thrown that aren't allowed to hop with a 1B with longer reach. Just my speculation.

I'm not sure what the splits are, but if I had to guess, I'd say most of his dWAR came from playing left field. I honestly think he's too small for 1B and he looks pretty awkward around the bag. There are some bang-bang plays and balls that are thrown that aren't allowed to hop with a 1B with longer reach. Just my speculation.

Davis had -1.6 DWAR at first in 2012 and 2013. Pearce is better then that.

Davis had -1.6 DWAR at first in 2012 and 2013. Pearce is better then that.

Maybe. Again, I don't know what the splits are. I do believe that Pearce won't come near a 4 win offensive season ever again. Not many journeymen kind of figure it out at 31, but hey, maybe Pearce has. I'm sure we'll get to see him plenty next year, and we'll probably wish we didn't have to.

Maybe. Again, I don't know what the splits are. I do believe that Pearce won't come near a 4 win offensive season ever again. Not many journeymen kind of figure it out at 31, but hey, maybe Pearce has. I'm sure we'll get to see him plenty next year, and we'll probably wish we didn't have to.

I don't think either of them ascend to previous heights again. I just think it would be easier for the guy who the defensive metrics like.

And because the only thing he does better than pearce is hit HR's, and Pearce has pretty good power himself. I like CD, but I admit that I am a bit arse chapped at the adderal suspension this year. Its a money thing now, and it may well make the best sense to look at allocating his dollars in other areas.

I haven't read all the pages on this post, but he plays first base a heck of a lot better than Pearce. He also plays the outfield, 3rd base and, on occasion, pitches! ha ha... :D Davis is a very versatile defensive player in ways that Pearce is not. Hated that he struggled this year, but I'd see how next year goes... Pearce has a place on this team, but Davis is more important. IMHO.

Is it possible that Crush won't be on the team next year? Yeah, I guess it is.

It's just really really really really REALLY unlikely. If he was in line for, like, $16-18 million in arbitration, maybe he'd be a non-tender candidate; at $11ish million and just a year removed from leading the league in HRs, I don't see how it makes much sense.

This. This.

My eyes, and apparently the stats don't agree on that one.

We have different eyes... And stats? SSS... I would be very cautious going into 2015 with Steve Pearce as your everyday first baseman... Again, opinion at best. But that's just my thought...

I haven't read all the pages on this post, but he plays first base a heck of a lot better than Pearce. He also plays the outfield, 3rd base and, on occasion, pitches! ha ha... :D Davis is a very versatile defensive player in ways that Pearce is not. Hated that he struggled this year, but I'd see how next year goes... Pearce has a place on this team, but Davis is more important. IMHO.

Every advanced stat disagrees with this... Crush is a below average 1B while Pearce is above average in his time there over his career. He might not be as good at scoops but his range is a lot better.

Every advanced stat disagrees with this... Crush is a below average 1B while Pearce is above average in his time there over his career. He might not be as good at scoops but his range is a lot better.

Alright, i concede on the stats. I haven't looked any up. But you go ahead and pencil in Pearce in as your starting first bagger. What we have are two guys that have had career seasons for a short while. Really, we and the Os front office know little. I'll defer to how it turns out...

Archived