Can we stop with the,"Davis won't be on the roster next year" stuff?

higgybaby

On a slightly different note, Fangraphs did an article a couple days ago on Davis and the shift

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/chris-davis-swallowed-by-the-shift/

The most important thing to note here is that Davis was shifted 83% of balls put in play this year... and seemingly is a huge reason why he struggled, since he only batted .230 on balls put in play when he was shifted, while his non shift BABIP was at .353. If Davis wants to stick around in the majors, he'll need to learn how to beat the shift since at this point he's just a liability if he constantly hits into the shift. I think his home run numbers suffered too since he was trying to hard to not pull the ball into the shift.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure what the splits are, but if I had to guess, I'd say most of his dWAR came from playing left field. I honestly think he's too small for 1B and he looks pretty awkward around the bag. There are some bang-bang plays and balls that are thrown that aren't allowed to hop with a 1B with longer reach. Just my speculation.

I think if you track the last 24 games without Davis at first, you will see the Os had a lot more throwing errors from the infield. I think the Orioles infielders started aiming the ball to a smaller target and threw nervously to first with Pearce ther. I think Pearce is a skilled 1b, but Davis' huge target really helps the infielders.

Its not a choice between Davis and Pearce. Its a choice between Davis at around $11 million and Pearce at around $3 million. I don't think its a slam dunk that Davis is traded, but its a definite possibility. I believe DD already knows what payroll can be next year and is planning to put together the best team for that price. I'm sure that Jones, Hardy, and Machado will be on the team next year, but not sure of much else. I believe the O's will have 2 of Markakis, Cruz, and Davis on the roster next year, and the odd man out will not necessarily be Cruz.

Every advanced stat disagrees with this... Crush is a below average 1B while Pearce is above average in his time there over his career. He might not be as good at scoops but his range is a lot better.

This is a big hole in the matrices, IMO. For a first baseman, excelling at catching thrown balls is the most vital skill, yet it really isn't accounted for in these "advanced" stats. I'll take the guy that consistently catches the low, high, and wide throws from infielders over the guy that gets to three or four more ground balls over the course of the season. This skill goes pretty much unnoticed statistically, since the infielder throwing the ball gets the error on balls the first baseman fails to catch, and there is no real stat for the first baseman who makes the catch, other than "put out."

Its not a choice between Davis and Pearce. Its a choice between Davis at around $11 million and Pearce at around $3 million. I don't think its a slam dunk that Davis is traded, but its a definite possibility. I believe DD already knows what payroll can be next year and is planning to put together the best team for that price. I'm sure that Jones, Hardy, and Machado will be on the team next year, but not sure of much else. I believe the O's will have 2 of Markakis, Cruz, and Davis on the roster next year, and the odd man out will not necessarily be Cruz.

I don't see that a choice between Davis and Pearce is necessary. Both will be on the team, IMO.

This is a big hole in the matrices, IMO. For a first baseman, excelling at catching thrown balls is the most vital skill, yet it really isn't accounted for in these "advanced" stats. I'll take the guy that consistently catches the low, high, and wide throws from infielders over the guy that gets to three or four more ground balls over the course of the season. This skill goes pretty much unnoticed statistically, since the infielder throwing the ball gets the error on balls the first baseman fails to catch, and there is no real stat for the first baseman who makes the catch, other than "put out."

Didn't Davis have a couple of balls hit him square in the middle of the mitt and fall out? Back in '12.

Never saw that happen with Pearce.

Yes, Davis has certainly improved markedly over the last two years. I agree.

Ohh so you are saying that since Davis catches the low, high and wide throws that it is ok that he drops the ones that hit him square in the glove?

We just need to train everyone else to never give him a good throw to work with.

Davis is not a good defensive player.

Ohh so you are saying that since Davis catches the low, high and wide throws that it is ok that he drops the ones that hit him square in the glove?

We just need to train everyone else to never give him a good throw to work with.

Davis is not a good defensive player.

Nope. I am saying that he has improved quite bit defensively at first base since he started playing there regularly. Are you now disputing that? It seemed that you were saying the same thing, since you were citing two errors from 2012. He seems to catch a lot more errant throws than Pearce. There is no statistical proof of that, since there is no such stat, but, in watching the games, this seems pretty obvious. You disagree? Really?

Nope. I am saying that he has improved quite bit defensively at first base since he started playing there regularly. Are you now disputing that? It seemed that you were saying the same thing, since you were citing two errors from 2012. He seems to catch a lot more errant throws than Pearce. There is no statistical proof of that, since there is no such stat, but, in watching the games, this seems pretty obvious. You disagree? Really?

I thought you were taking what I said, that Davis doesn't consistently catch throws, and tried to spin it that he does catch throws.

Pearce is the superior first baseman.

I don't think the eye test is good for judging range, particularity at first.

Chris Davis ranking among 8 qualifying AL 1B - 2014 Regular Season - Source: ESPN

DWAR 1

Range Factor 2

Fielding Percentage 2

Counting Stats

Total Chances 7

Assists 8

Putouts 6

Errors 2nd fewest

How about you add in 2012-2013? Since he really didn't have that many reps at first last season, what with his suspension and time at third.

I thought you were taking what I said, that Davis doesn't consistently catch throws, and tried to spin it that he does catch throws.

Pearce is the superior first baseman.

I don't think the eye test is good for judging range, particularity at first.

Wow. Yeah, we will just have to disagree on this one. Miles apart.

Archived