Dan Connolly is going to be on the Viviano show shortly...

Black & Orange

Is it me or am I the only one who wants to hear Jones speak about being an O?

You're not the only one, but he'll be in spring training soon enough and there will be plenty of column inches to fill with no games that count taking place until March 31.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no desire to hear Jones speak at a press conference. I think it would be a particularly stupid thing to do. A press conference would do nothing but set a context of huge expectations. Let him play, play well (hopefully), and I'll eagerly read some quotes in the paper.

(edit): this was phrased incorrectly - and not contrary to your post. I do want to hear him speak, but I'd rather see him play, and I'd rather, if he does get a chance to speak, that he not have a press conference.

Oh, don't get me wrong buddy. I'd love for him to speak about being an O.

However, I think we all gave a reason of "He doesn't have to be here when the deals done." Almost as a reason for us all to believe the deal is done b/c we want it to be!

I love interviews/press conferences involving players. Thats one thing the Ravens do (in my opinion) much better than the Orioles. Get the players out and talking to the fans.

Peace, thanks for reporting what you've heard. It isn't what many want to hear, but please keep saying what you hear. It is up to us to filter and interpret the information. In my personal opinion, I sense no agenda here. Just information with a disclaimer. THIS NEEDS RESOLUTION. PEOPLE ARE EDGY.

In my mind, it would be sort of weird for the O's to have a press conference. The deal is made up of prospects (Jones has extremely limited MLB experience) so would we invite all 5 to the PC? To me, it would just seem odd to only invite Jones, or only Jones and Sherrill, etc.

Some questions for Jones at the press conference:

- Why did you tell that Venezuelan reporter that you had been told to fly to Baltimore because you had been traded?

- Why did you deny saying that to the Venezuelan reporter, when tape recordings plainly showed that you did?

- How was it being told that te deal was on again, off again, on again, off again over several weeks?

Still think there's going to be a press conference?

I hope that Jones is accepted with open arms by the Orioles fans. He should receive nothing less than a huge clebration for being the future of this organization. I would like him to stay for a long time if he turns out to be the player we know he can be.

I have heard rumblings from people that maybe he will not be accpeted with such open arms due to his comments. To that I say, we do not know what heppened, we do not know what the circumstances were. We should withhold judgment.

First impressions are important. I hope he gets a big cheer on opening day when he first comes to the plate.

I have heard rumblings from people that maybe he will not be accpeted with such open arms due to his comments.

Huh? I haven't heard anything of the kind. And here is what Jones had to say:

"[bavasi] called me [saturday] and told me the news," Jones told the Venezuelan newspaper. "I've got to go to Baltimore [this] morning and handle things there. I'm the centerpiece of the deal on the Mariners' side. It's an honor to get traded for such a highly talented pitcher as Bedard is.

"He's one of the best. Last year, he finished up as arguably one of the top candidates for the Cy Young. He's that good, so for me, it's an honor. You know, I like Seattle, but if I am in Baltimore, as I think I am now, I'm going to embrace it and have the best time of my life in Major League Baseball."

"It's going to be weird being in a whole new organization," he said. "I've got to go to Florida for spring training, but I just have to go over there, just meet all the guys, get in with them good and play baseball the way I know I play."

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:AJqNgBV9z-0J:seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/mariners/2004149056_mari28.html+adam+jones+venezuela+honor&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=7&gl=us

Nothing but positives in there as far as I can see.

Archived