Neil Walker?

Dark Helmet

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's what I have to say about walker having watched so much of him.

He's a good hitter with a solid approach at the plate. His power is quite streaky and not as durable as you would like. He is a very solid defender having been taught how to play the position by perhaps the best ever to defensively man the position in Bill Mazeroski. He's also defensively intelligent. He came up as a catcher, moved to third and eventually was put at second when Pedro Alvarez was drafted. Has never quite put it all together in a given season; if he did he would probably be the best second baseman in the game given his skills.

Would love to have him on the team. That said, the difference between him and Schoop is not Norris. That is too much to pay.

Schoop was a rookie, he will grow as a player, and while he is doing it he is cheap and cost controlled.

great post, I agree

btw to saying the difference between him and Schoop is not Norris?

Norris is only signed for one more year and around 8 million, and Walker is about 2-3 WAR higher last year while being signed for 3 years. I'd surely take the upgrade at 2B plus Norris for him if the Pirates were willing to do it.

Norris is only signed for one more year and around 8 million, and Walker is about 2-3 WAR higher last year while being signed for 3 years. I'd surely take the upgrade at 2B plus Norris for him if the Pirates were willing to do it.

I'm more optimistic than you. I expect 250, 300, 430 with 20 hrs from Schoop. And I expect 15 wins from Norris

Not to nitpick, but Walker is arb-eligible for 2015 and 2016 only. He would be a free agent after the 2016 season.

I'm sure Pirates could get a better package than Schoop and Norris anyway. According to baseball reference he's only first time arbitration eligible and he's a 3-4 WAR player in the prime of his career. He's worth a lot on the trade market.
Here's what I have to say about walker having watched so much of him.

He's a good hitter with a solid approach at the plate. His power is quite streaky and not as durable as you would like. He is a very solid defender having been taught how to play the position by perhaps the best ever to defensively man the position in Bill Mazeroski. He's also defensively intelligent. He came up as a catcher, moved to third and eventually was put at second when Pedro Alvarez was drafted. Has never quite put it all together in a given season; if he did he would probably be the best second baseman in the game given his skills.

Would love to have him on the team. That said, the difference between him and Schoop is not Norris. That is too much to pay.

Schoop was a rookie, he will grow as a player, and while he is doing it he is cheap and cost controlled.

Norris is quite valuable. No matter what some folks think. And Schoop? He is more valuable today than he was last year coming off the broken back when EVERYONE was asking for him.

It's not all about dollars for WAR. Norris has excess value as an above average AL pitcher NOT committed beyond this season. Schoop has the potential to be a 12 win over replacement player while under club control. And I like Walker. I do.

Was Walker extended early or something which messed up the amount of arbitration years he had or something? Either way, I guess he is only under contract for 2 more years and that's not quite as appealing. Either way, I'd still do the trade though since we have an excess of starting pitchers and I like our window right now.

Was Walker extended early or something which messed up the amount of arbitration years he had or something? Either way, I guess he is only under contract for 2 more years and that's not quite as appealing. Either way, I'd still do the trade though since we have an excess of starting pitchers and I like our window right now.

We are in a room full of mirrors. There is no window.

Wouldn't the Pirates be better off rounding out their roster with a FA pitcher like Burnett, Peavy, Anderson, bring back Volzquez or Liriano than giving up Walker? The also have Tailon coming back mid summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peavy makes a lot of sense for them. I doubt they will be counting on anything from Taillon but they have some other young arms. Would not have been surprised if they were the ones talking to the rays about Hellickson.

All that said, they probably have some position players they can move for pitching. Would not be surprised to see Lambo, Mercer, Friday, Alvarez, or Tabata moved for some level of pitching. The Orioles pitching depth and the Pirates positional depth certainly match up at many levels. If the Orioles pulled off a big trade I would not be surprised if it were with the Pirates.

Nope, it was just a mistake on Baseball Reference's end. They have corrected it. He is now listed as 2nd-year arb eligible for 2015.

Archived