Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In all honesty, it's hard to know how much credit goes to each of MacPhail, Duquette and Showalter for the Orioles' good results the last three years, and I can't quite tell if our U.S. amateur scouting is any better now than it was when MacPhail was here, though I think international scouting and pro scouting appear to be significantly better. But I don't think you can say the good results under Duquette are solely "because they had a good core of players that Duquette lucked into." That same core went 69-93 in 2011. They've gotten better results since then for several reasons, but one of the main ones is that Duquette found some good pitchers and has been great at finding role players to fill various gaps.

It took all three of them to turn the O's around and make them good.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette expects get couple players before leaves here</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette expects get couple players before leaves here</p>? Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Well this is slightly interesting. I'd book Delmon Young as one of the guys, but who is the other

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Asked about leadoff options. Said De Aza and Lough. Need better OBP though</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

There are a million variables. Most importantly, who stays healthy? I think it is very important for Orioles fans to understand that while we expect to have Wieters and Manny back, and hopefully Davis will have a better year than in 2014, it's not like we should expect that everyone on the team will stay healthy. So, I don't think it's right to say we can make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis because other players are coming back -- some players will get hurt, we just don't know who yet, and if we don't acquire any additional bats this winter, the lack of depth will show when those injuries occur. I think Dan knows this, and while he probably won't acquire two players who are the caliber of Cruz and Markakis, he'll acquire players who are good enough to allow the team to withstand injuries to 1-2 players and not have a drastic drop in offense from last year.

Dan is already well on his way to having the replacement. McFarland probably start the year in the AAA rotation. Wright, Wilson, T Berry, Gamboa, Drake and Davies will all be pitchers on the Norfolk to Baltimore shuttle. Walker, Alvarez, Navarro, Hassan, Urrutia and Q Berry are all waiting to help if needed. The O's sound like they will bring Hundley back to start the season in case Wieters is not ready. Then Joseph gets optioned when Wieters is ready. Caleb could be called up at any time.

DD already has a lot of depth.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Duquette expects get couple players before leaves here</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

Rule 5!!!! It's a trick.

Aoki, Young, Breslow or Hundley. Pick two.

Archived