Darren O'Day must have enjoyed the Astros' signings yesterday....

Frobby

Luke Gregerson 3/$18.5 mm (133 ERA+ career, 176 in 2014)

Pat Neshek 2/$12.5 mm (145 ERA+ career, 197 in 2014)

O'Day will make $4.25 mm next year (175 ERA+ career, 225 in 2014). He's a year older than Gregerson, two year younger than Neshek. If he has a year close to the three he's had for us so far, he is in for a nice payday next offseason.

Do you think there's any chance the O's attempt to extend him before the season starts? He's been the one constant in our bullpen for the last 3 years.

Depends if they are worried about how he finished the year, and whether it signals some kind of arm trouble.

If he puts up a solid 2015, it will be no problem for him to find a lucrative long-term deal somewhere. I just can't see Baltimore putting up strong money and a 4-year deal for a reliever, though. But man, will I hate to see that guy leave. He's one of my favorite players, what I consider an unsung hero.

Well, technically not unsung because of that "O'Dayyyy, O'Day O'Day O'Dayyyy" chant, but you know what I mean.

I just can't see spending big on a reliever. There just has to be a lot of guys out there that can pitch one inning at a time with a good amount of success. The combination of throwing a lot of pitches and hitters making adjustments the second and third time through is what really hurts pitchers effectiveness. There are many guys who can throw 15 pitches to 4 hitters at a time, 3 to 4 days a week.

Until they start winning, the Astros are playing with "Confederate money." They made Miller the best offer but he wanted to pitch for a contender. These guys took advantage of Houston's need to overpay. Their contracts may have set a benchmark for teams with losing records, but I'm not sure it will do much to the market in general. We'll see next year.

Guest rochester

I have no idea why, but I had a Jamie Walker / Danys Baez / Chad Bradford moment when I saw them commit that much money for two ok relievers - they just need a third. $31M - yikes.... if Miller was their third it would be $66m for three relievers

O'Day, Hunter and Webb are all free agents at the end of the 2015 season and they all will get expensive. That is why Wright, Wilson, Davies, Drake and Gamboa are important to the O's. They all have options which will help them in breaking into the majors.

So is Matusz. Basically our whole team is. Meet your 2016 Baltimore Orioles

Tillman,Gausman,Gonzo,Ubaldo,?

Britton,Brach,Mac,?,?,?,?

Lough,Jones,?,Machado,Hardy,Schoop,?,Joseph,?

Flaherty,?,?,?

O'Day, Hunter and Webb are all free agents at the end of the 2015 season and they all will get expensive. That is why Wright, Wilson, Davies, Drake and Gamboa are important to the O's. They all have options which will help them in breaking into the majors.

The next 12+ months will tell us a lot about DD.

Archived