Toronto looking for New President to be Duquette.

OriolesManiac88

This is all about Ken having something to be important about and to get back at the Orioles for all of their wrongs to him personally.

I'm waiting for him to write an article about how strange it is for a team's major investor, who has no position with the team, to reach out to opposing teams about hiring away their top baseball exec.s.

Actually, I'm not really waiting, because I know it won't happen.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish unless something really happens that people would drop the story. And unless someone is going to state who they are does someone saying "the situation is toxic" really matter? I mean that person could have an agenda.

Why would people drop the story? It's the only major activity of the entire Orioles off season so far.

While I largely agree with you, the details that Manfred and Selig each spoke with Alan Rifkin about this is new, isn't it? I'd heard that "MLB" had contacted "the Orioles" but I hadn't heard who. The fact that the message from MLB came from the very top is interesting. The fact that the conduit for the message was the Orioles' outside counsel, and that the conversation took place at the owners' meetings, also was interesting. Why is the Orioles' outside counsel at the owners' meetings in the first place? Do all the owners bring a lawyer? Does Angelos always do it? Did he do it this time because of the MASN dispute, or for some other reason? Rifkin, by the way, is one of the counsel "of record" in the MASN court case, has given factual affidavits in the case, and has been heavily involved in all aspects of the MASN dispute. Yet, he is having direct conversations with the principals from MLB, rather than with MLB's lawyers. That's quite unusual. Makes me wonder if there are talks ongoing about resolving the MASN case.

One maybe relevant piece of information is that common sentiment w/r/t the Orioles is that when you deal with them "you will speak to lawyers, plural." You and I are sympathetic to the idea that an attorney shouldn't reach out directly to an opposing party (as opposed to working through the lawyer on the other side of the table), but my understanding (not stated as a fact) is that the Orioles have various involved in most aspects of their business -- so while I can in no way say this with any certainty I can at least imagine a situation where Baltimore opts to have an attorney at a meeting/conversation as a team rep, rather than a business principal.

That all may be wholly irrelevant, but I believe general sentiment is that the Orioles tend to use lawyers the same way other organizations use front office members (both on business and, depending on the issue, baseball side).

One maybe relevant piece of information is that common sentiment w/r/t the Orioles is that when you deal with them "you will speak to lawyers, plural." You and I are sympathetic to the idea that an attorney shouldn't reach out directly to an opposing party (as opposed to working through the lawyer on the other side of the table), but my understanding (not stated as a fact) is that the Orioles have various involved in most aspects of their business -- so while I can in no way say this with any certainty I can at least imagine a situation where Baltimore opts to have an attorney at a meeting/conversation as a team rep, rather than a business principal.

That all may be wholly irrelevant, but I believe general sentiment is that the Orioles tend to use lawyers the same way other organizations use front office members (both on business and, depending on the issue, baseball side).

Imagine how uncomfortable meetings would be if Angelos were a dentist.

I agree with you. Rifkin clearly has dealt directly with Manfred on the MASN issues -- presumably, with the consent of MLB's counsel. Sending the lawyer to the owners' meeting seems a bit extreme, though, even if other team reps were there.

I agree with you. Rifkin clearly has dealt directly with Manfred on the MASN issues -- presumably, with the consent of MLB's counsel. Sending the lawyer to the owners' meeting seems a bit extreme, though, even if other team reps were there.

"He trusts his lawyers; his lawyers aren't always the easiest to work with."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/FadooBobcat">@FadooBobcat</a> says he has been told that Paul Beeston will be retained by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> as president for 2015 season. New prez in for 2016.</p>— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) <a href="

">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>.<a href="https://twitter.com/FadooBobcat">@FadooBobcat</a> says he has been told that Paul Beeston will be retained by <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BlueJays?src=hash">#BlueJays</a> as president for 2015 season. New prez in for 2016.</p>— Ben Nicholson-Smith (@bnicholsonsmith) <a href="
">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Fantastic. So we get to go through this for a full year.

While I largely agree with you, the details that Manfred and Selig each spoke with Alan Rifkin about this is new, isn't it? I'd heard that "MLB" had contacted "the Orioles" but I hadn't heard who. The fact that the message from MLB came from the very top is interesting. The fact that the conduit for the message was the Orioles' outside counsel, and that the conversation took place at the owners' meetings, also was interesting. Why is the Orioles' outside counsel at the owners' meetings in the first place? Do all the owners bring a lawyer? Does Angelos always do it? Did he do it this time because of the MASN dispute, or for some other reason? Rifkin, by the way, is one of the counsel "of record" in the MASN court case, has given factual affidavits in the case, and has been heavily involved in all aspects of the MASN dispute. Yet, he is having direct conversations with the principals from MLB, rather than with MLB's lawyers. That's quite unusual. Makes me wonder if there are talks ongoing about resolving the MASN case.

I wasn't sure who Rifkin was. Found this very interesting interview:

http://www.superlawyers.com/maryland/article/Rifkin-Not-Ripken/287dd7e5-d84e-404c-b07c-874767e6101c.html

I don't want him with this team THIS season if he's planning on bolting at the end of it.

"A Michigan man will coach Michigan !!!"

Bo Schembechler, 1989

When he found out that head basketball coach Bill Frieder had already verbally agreed to leave the Wolverines to coach Arizona State the following season. Frieder was immediately replaced with Steve Fisher, who guided the Wolverines to a 6-0 record and the national championship in that year's N.C.A.A. tournament.

Archived