Spring Training: Hotel recommendations?

OregonBird

Alright, I'm about to pull the trigger. I want to bring my wife and two boys (ages 6 and 4) to Sarasota to experience spring training and get away from the rainy Oregon winter. I think it will be an incredible trip for my boys who love the O's.

Any recommendations on where to stay? The normal site I use, TripAdvisor, hasn't been very helpful. I'd love to be near the beach since I have young kids but it seems like most of the places get mixed reviews. Good location but dated, subpar accomodations and not worth the money. On the otherhand, I'm concerned being closer to the stadium would put me farther away from kids activities when we're not at the games.

I'd love to find something that is a good value. I mainly want clean, somewhat modern accomodations large enough for a family, yet close to activities. I'm not sure I want to pay the location premium for a hotel that is dirty and dated. I'm leaning toward the Hyatt Place or Holiday Inn Express. Both seem reasonably priced, clean and modern but no doubt they are a little farther away from the action.

Any ideas?

Archived