Mike Mussina (24.6%) - 8

Jeff Kent (14%) - 8

Fred McGriff (12.9%)- 4

Gary Sheffield (11.7%) - 9

Mark McGwire (10%) - 1

Larry Walker (11.8%) - 5

Don Mattingly (9.1%) - 0*

Sammy Sosa (6.6%)- 7

* Smith, Trammel and Mattingly were grandfathered in under the old rule allowing 15 years of eligibility.

There's not a ton of guys becoming ineligible over the next five years: Trammel and McGwire have one more year, Raines and Smith have two, Martinez and McGriff have four. Of those, I think only Raines stands a chance of getting voted in.

Next year Ken Griffey Jr should be an overwhelming choice.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Years of eligibility remaining:

Mike Piazza (69.9%) - 7

Jeff Bagwell (55.7%) -5

Tim Raines (55%) -2

Curt Schilling (39.2%) - 7

Roger Clemens (37.5%) - 7

Barry Bonds (36.8%)- 7

Lee Smith (30.2%)- 2*

Edgar Martinez (27%) - 4

Alan Trammell (25.1%) - 1*

Mike Mussina (24.6%) - 8

Jeff Kent (14%) - 8

Fred McGriff (12.9%)- 4

Gary Sheffield (11.7%) - 9

Mark McGwire (10%) - 1

Larry Walker (11.8%) - 5

Don Mattingly (9.1%) - 0*

Sammy Sosa (6.6%)- 7

* Smith, Trammel and Mattingly were grandfathered in under the old rule allowing 15 years of eligibility.

There's not a ton of guys becoming ineligible over the next five years: Trammel and McGwire have one more year, Raines and Smith have two, Martinez and McGriff have four. Of those, I think only Raines stands a chance of getting voted in.

I had to stop and look it up to remind myself that McGwire will already be in his 10th year of eligibility next year because he retired in 2001. Geez...

Next year Ken Griffey Jr should be an overwhelming choice.

No doubt, but he's the only one from the group that retired in 2010 who's a likely first ballot Hall of Famer. I think that gives Piazza, Bagwell and Raines a decent shot next year.

No doubt, but he's the only one from the group that retired in 2010 who's a likely first ballot Hall of Famer. I think that gives Piazza, Bagwell and Raines a decent shot next year.

Raines has no chance at 55 this season, he'll not have the traction.

Raines has no chance at 55 this season, he'll not have the traction.

Blyleven jumped from 47.7% in 2007 to 61.9% in 2008. The Sabermetric community will be pushing hard for Raines in his last two years and they got it done with Blyleven (He was at 14.1% in his second year on the ballot)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>after a fair amount of research, ive determined i voted for 5 democrats, 3 republicans & a nut</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I meant McGriff.

Oh, okay. I still wouldn't want to take that too far, McGriff was the best position player on his teams multiple times. And, for example, he was clearly the best overall player on those darned 1989 Blue Jays.

Edit: Hold on, did you mean that McGriff was better than Delgado? Well, yea, mostly... but they were never teammates.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>after a fair amount of research, ive determined i voted for 5 democrats, 3 republicans & a nut</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="
">January 9, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'll give him points for that one, that's funny :laughlol:

Archived