Skeletor

I do love a good HoF debate.

Obviously the big debate here is with the steroid guys. Over the years I've gone from being vehemently opposed to having steroid guys in the Hall to not really caring to being somewhat for them.

My big beef is with the anti Bagwell and Piazza sentiment. There hasn't been any proof that those guys juiced, yet people hold it against them for some reason. I don't want to hear anything about Piazza's acne. I don't want to hear anything about Bagwell "looking like" he juiced.

I understand why people want to keep Bonds, Clemens, etc out. I've come around on them for a few reasons. They had Hall of Fame resumes before they supposedly started juicing. IIRC, there weren't any rules in place at the time about PEDs. It was a bad time for baseball, to be sure, but it can't be ignored and it shouldn't be ignored. Baseball has recognized it's bad spots in history, most notably allowing Negro League players to be inducted.

So I've come around on the juicers. I don't like the fact that they did what they did but they weren't the only guys doing it. Bonds was hitting homers off juiced up pitchers, Clemens was throwing heat past juiced up batters.

So here's who I'd vote for, in no specific order:

Johnson

Martinez

Clemens

Bonds

Schilling

Biggio

Bagwell

Piazza

McGwire

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do love a good HoF debate.

Obviously the big debate here is with the steroid guys. Over the years I've gone from being vehemently opposed to having steroid guys in the Hall to not really caring to being somewhat for them.

My big beef is with the anti Bagwell and Piazza sentiment. There hasn't been any proof that those guys juiced, yet people hold it against them for some reason. I don't want to hear anything about Piazza's acne. I don't want to hear anything about Bagwell "looking like" he juiced.

I understand why people want to keep Bonds, Clemens, etc out. I've come around on them for a few reasons. They had Hall of Fame resumes before they supposedly started juicing. IIRC, there weren't any rules in place at the time about PEDs. It was a bad time for baseball, to be sure, but it can't be ignored and it shouldn't be ignored. Baseball has recognized it's bad spots in history, most notably allowing Negro League players to be inducted.

So I've come around on the juicers. I don't like the fact that they did what they did but they weren't the only guys doing it. Bonds was hitting homers off juiced up pitchers, Clemens was throwing heat past juiced up batters.

And of course you know there are steroid users that are already in the hall.

One Hall of Famer was swept over Niagara Falls to his death because he was so drunk he fell off the International Bridge.

See if you can guess without looking him up ;)

Ed Delehanty. Who had (IIRC) four brothers who played in the majors. And one of the few (I think two) dead ball players to hit four homers in a game.

Pud Galvin, Bowie Kuhn and who else?

I said we know there are users, not that there are known users.

Except those you listed of course.

Steroids have been a part of baseball since the late '60's, you know there are guy that used and got in. Or do you think only scrubs used until Canseco and Big Mac started?

So you think steroids would have done more for Perry more good then the substances he put on the ball?

Whitey Ford had Elston Howard sharpen his buckles to slice the ball with. Gaylord had nothing on Whitey. Heck, they put stuff on that balls in front of the umpires and the tv cameras all the time. in 2014. What do you think those neck tattoos are for?

Pittsburgh Cocaine trials

Yep. So there's a group that is adament about Raines and his coke abuse but would like to deny Bond and Clemens? I'm not sure if coke is a performance enhancer or not, but I find it pretty interesting that no one seems to talk about his coke abuse (especially during games, isn't baseball so pure and sacred? Probably not as pure as some Colombian yayo.) but other peoples shortcomings are fair game.

Archived