Skeletor

Where does his OPS+ rank? He did play in the liveliest hitting era ever.

138 OPS+. Tied for 87th place. Notable players not in the Hall (excluding suspected PED cases and ineligibles) who are above him:

Dick Allen 156

Charlie Keller 152

Edgar Martinez 147

Albert Belle 144

Frank Howard 142

Larry Walker 141

Norm Cash 139

There are quite a few others, these are just the ones that most casual fans would know. I would not have Delgado in my HoF.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I am a big Hall guy, and Delgado is just outside for me. If he had the same offensive numbers playing a corner outfield position he would have a decent case, but not at first base.

In quantifiable terms: He has only three 5+ win seasons, 43 fWAR for his career, and he's 12th among first basemen in fWAR since 1990. 12th. Since 1990. Jeff Bagwell can't get in the Hall and he's 7th in fWAR among first basemen ever. All-time among players who played a lot of first base (whatever Fangraphs minimum qualifier is) Delgado is 50th in fWAR, 43 spots behind Bagwell, and well behind Jack Clark, Will Clark, Jason Giambi, and Mark Grace.

It is ridiculous Carlos Delgado is going to be OFF THE BALLOT!

Linky

While he's not a Hall of Famer, it is kind of unfair that we don't even get to have the Carlos Delgado conversation for another year or two. He was a heck of a hitter. As good as Don Mattingly or Boog Powell, and he'll be a one-and-done, relegated to bar room conversations among shivering Blue Jays die hards.

Yeah, I am a big Hall guy, and Delgado is just outside for me. If he had the same offensive numbers playing a corner outfield position he would have a decent case, but not at first base.

Curt Schilling chimed in.

“I think he got in because of [Greg] Maddux and [Tom] Glavine. I think the fact that they won 14 straight pennants. I think his ‘Swiss army knife versatility,’ which somebody said yesterday, I think he got a lot of accolades for that, I think he got a lot of recognition for that. He’s a Hall of Famer,” Schilling said. “And I think the other big thing is that I think he’s a Democrat and so I know that, as a Republican, that there’s some people that really don’t like that.”

I'm not a big hall guy.

In quantifiable terms: He has only three 5+ win seasons, 43 fWAR for his career, and he's 12th among first basemen in fWAR since 1990. 12th. Since 1990. Jeff Bagwell can't get in the Hall and he's 7th in fWAR among first basemen ever. All-time among players who played a lot of first base (whatever Fangraphs minimum qualifier is) Delgado is 50th in fWAR, 43 spots behind Bagwell, and well behind Jack Clark, Will Clark, Jason Giambi, and Mark Grace.

Delgado was not the best first of his era, league, division, or even team.

Years of eligibility remaining:

Mike Piazza (69.9%) - 7

Jeff Bagwell (55.7%) -5

Tim Raines (55%) -2

Curt Schilling (39.2%) - 7

Roger Clemens (37.5%) - 7

Barry Bonds (36.8%)- 7

Lee Smith (30.2%)- 2*

Edgar Martinez (27%) - 4

Alan Trammell (25.1%) - 1*

Mike Mussina (24.6%) - 8

Jeff Kent (14%) - 8

Fred McGriff (12.9%)- 4

Gary Sheffield (11.7%) - 9

Mark McGwire (10%) - 1

Larry Walker (11.8%) - 5

Don Mattingly (9.1%) - 0*

Sammy Sosa (6.6%)- 7

* Smith, Trammel and Mattingly were grandfathered in under the old rule allowing 15 years of eligibility.

There's not a ton of guys becoming ineligible over the next five years: Trammel and McGwire have one more year, Raines and Smith have two, Martinez and McGriff have four. Of those, I think only Raines stands a chance of getting voted in.

Archived