My beef with fantasy rankings....

WarehouseChatter

Maybe I'm just a homer and I know I shouldn't care, but I am perturbed by the fantasy ranks by position released by Brad Johnson at Fangraphs. The highest position ranking we received is Steve Pearce (12th at 1B). I would love to know your thoughts. I posted an article about it at WarehouseChatter questioning the rankings and a related article specific to Adam Jones and his "upcoming demise". Again, would love to get your thoughts.

Fantasy Baseball valuations are going to be entirely weighted towards the hitting skills of the player. I think he already had to specifically address that he had Jones lower than people thought was appropriate.

In general lots of our players wouldn't make great fantasy guys - either they have lots of value from their defense (Machado and Hardy), or they're coming off down years or particularly exceptional years (Wieters, Pearce, Davis).

Our pitchers also tend to rely on the defense helping them out, rather than getting strikeouts. This leads to pitchers with relatively high WHIP and not enough Ks to make up for it.

The Orioles can be a good actual baseball team and yet have very few good 'fantasy' players.

Maybe I'm just a homer and I know I shouldn't care, but I am perturbed by the fantasy ranks by position released by Brad Johnson at Fangraphs. The highest position ranking we received is Steve Pearce (12th at 1B). I would love to know your thoughts. I posted an article about it at WarehouseChatter questioning the rankings and a related article specific to Adam Jones and his "upcoming demise". Again, would love to get your thoughts.

There is no reason to get angry over fantasy baseball rankings. If you are in a fantasy league and strongly believe that a player is being undervalued by the "fantasy experts", that is a good thing. You can then generally draft that player or win him at auction, depending on your league format, cheaper than if he was rated more highly by the touts.

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ranking-adam-jones-for-the-2015-fantasy-baseball-season/

He did a write up yesterday about why he ranked Jones so low

Without any stats on a page – just names – I see nothing out of the ordinary including him in a cohort with Matt Holliday, Kole Calhoun, Yoenis Cespedes, and Brandon Moss. Those seem like fine companions for a hyper-aggressive hitter with whiff issues.

what

http://www.fangraphs.com/fantasy/ranking-adam-jones-for-the-2015-fantasy-baseball-season/

He did a write up yesterday about why he ranked Jones so low

what

Weird. Because many fantasy set ups don't take OBP into account, so his "hyper aggressive approach" is a benefit with counting stats.

That actually reads like he knows he goofed and will try to slide Jones up later, while hoping nobody notices.

Fantasy Baseball valuations are going to be entirely weighted towards the hitting skills of the player. I think he already had to specifically address that he had Jones lower than people thought was appropriate.

In general lots of our players wouldn't make great fantasy guys - either they have lots of value from their defense (Machado and Hardy), or they're coming off down years or particularly exceptional years (Wieters, Pearce, Davis).

Our pitchers also tend to rely on the defense helping them out, rather than getting strikeouts. This leads to pitchers with relatively high WHIP and not enough Ks to make up for it.

The Orioles can be a good actual baseball team and yet have very few good 'fantasy' players.

Not only are they 100% based on hitting stats, but 20% of the value is completely based on steals, which is something the Orioles don't excel in.

So they don't factor in defense at all, and we are one of the best defensive teams in baseball.

And 20% of the value is based solely on steals, something we are near the bottom of the league in.

Not only are they 100% based on hitting stats, but 20% of the value is completely based on steals, which is something the Orioles don't excel in.

So they don't factor in defense at all, and we are one of the best defensive teams in baseball.

And 20% of the value is based solely on steals, something we are near the bottom of the league in.

Fantasy stats have nothing to do with what makes a team good.

Archived