Md vs NCSt

markpolis

I don't think Duke is physical at all, I think they're a bunch of you know what's to be honest. BC has been thuggish for years, they beat you up, still playing the Big East style.

Watching Duke against GT today. Their defense puts a hand, elbow on the dribble EVERY time down the floor. It is subtle, but they use those hand checks all the time and use it to keep ball handlers off-balance. They do get foul calls for doing it, but not nearly as many as they should get.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Watching Duke against GT today. Their defense puts a hand, elbow on the dribble EVERY time down the floor. It is subtle, but they use those hand checks all the time and use it to keep ball handlers off-balance. They do get foul calls for doing it, but not nearly as many as they should get.

You think hand checking is physical? :confused:

Physical is the old Detroit Pistons. That was physical defense. I don't think anyone would confuse Duke with that.

I anything, Duke has always been looked at as a more finesse team.

Again, using that hand check is brilliant by coach K. The refs aren't going to call it and on many occasions they will put a little shove into the dribble and cause turnovers. From a pure brute strength, no, they don't beat teams up, they do the little things that force turnovers, but nonetheless are illegal. A little shove here and there can cause a lot of problems.

GT has a lot of slashers and if Duke keeps extended as they do they are going to give up a lot of easy baskets, but I imagine they will get a lot of turnovers also.

Again, using that hand check is brilliant by coach K. The refs aren't going to call it and on many occasions they will put a little shove into the dribble and cause turnovers. From a pure brute strength, no, they don't beat teams up, they do the little things that force turnovers, but nonetheless are illegal. A little shove here and there can cause a lot of problems.

GT has a lot of slashers and if Duke keeps extended as they do they are going to give up a lot of easy baskets, but I imagine they will get a lot of turnovers also.

I don't think i have seen a college game where there isn't some degree of grabbing, hand checking, etc...

Duke..Of course they are also scoring easily and are running them and are beating them down the court alot, so that will happen.

I am surpised Duke is up by so much, they are not playing well at all. They need a go to guy on O, someone that can strike fear in a D. They have a bunch of guys that are good, but no true go to. If they had that, they would be a top 15 team this year, IMO.

Duke..Of course they are also scoring easily and are running them and are beating them down the court alot, so that will happen.

Here is what they are doing that makes them a great coached team: They initiate contact defensively by checking and using an arm-bar, then when the offensive player clears using his shoulder or arm they are flopping like crazy. Classic Coach K defense. It is what irritates the crap out of me, but also makes me envious of the coach. They foul to get the other team to foul. The refs fall for it an aweful lot.

Great coaching job by K, this team looks different than it did last week.

BTW, if Duke wins today, looks like they will, it helps the Terps. If Duke loses today, good, they suck:)

• 2 weeks later...
Duke will win tonight and will win their next 4 games, setting up the UNC game to determine if they are 9-7 or 10-6 in conference.

:D Wrong :D ... I believe I said they couldn't win their next four games. I guess I was wrong too. I should have said they would not win their next four games. :D Once again, I feel the need to tell you, you were wrong.:D

:D Wrong :D ... I believe I said they couldn't win their next four games. I guess I was wrong too. I should have said they would not win their next four games. :D Once again, I feel the need to tell you, you were wrong.:D

It happens every once in a blue moon. :D

It happens every once in a blue moon. :D

Good form SG, I have to say Duke showed me something the last four games. I still think that this has to be a dissapointing season for Duke fans given the high expectations EVERY year. As for Terp fans, haven't felt this good about Maryland basketball in QUITE some time.

Good form SG, I have to say Duke showed me something the last four games. I still think that this has to be a dissapointing season for Duke fans given the high expectations EVERY year. As for Terp fans, haven't felt this good about Maryland basketball in QUITE some time.

I still think Duke can be a sweet 16 team, which is what i felt coming into the year.

The thing that has disappointed me about this team has been their play in the last 5 minutes of games. That is something i would not have expected or seen coming and it is why they aren't challenging for the #2 spot in conference(like i thought they would) and it is why they won't be seeded as high as i thought they would.

The talent is there but the execution and experience is not.

And you should be feeling good about the Terps. This is a very good team.

Archived