UNC vs Terps 2/25

AgentOrange

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maryland has put it all together at the right time of the year and is finally attracting national attention. The win today was emotional to me a long time follower and I think just about every Terp fan out there. Gary's coaching skills are paying off with this young team and I think his restraint in yelling and screaming constantly the last few weeks is paying huge dividends. He stills yells but he is definitely trying to hold back a little or be less emotional which he alluded to in his post game Comcast interview on the court. He has always been a little too critical of players when mistakes are made and his yelling at them out on the court and on the bench has not always worked with some players. Gary takes it personally when a player makes a mistake and he is embarrassed by sloppy play. I think he is coaching more like he did the year we won the NCAA Championship.

There were a lot of mistakes and turnovers in today's game and he was in total control. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I thought we should have set plays for Mike Jones to get him open shots. He is a much better shooter when he has time to pause and then shoot the ball. He is not very good when he is scrambling and shooting off balance. On the radio after the game Gary was asked if they ran set plays for Jones late in the game and he said yes they had detected something in Carolina's defense that allowed him to get open looks and Jones hit 2 key shots. Congratulations to everyone that contributed to this total team effort and the entire coaching staff.

I hope John Lucas enjoyed this huge win and his son decides to come to MD. We have a good nucleus with Vasquez and Hayes but Jai would fit in perfectly with D.J. graduating. This team could surprise a lot of people and go to the final eight and maybe final four. The strong rebounding and guard play has a been a key to our recent success and it will play a major role in determining how far we go in the tournament. Great game! It was like watching a final four game.......go Terps!

GTown has no guards, Green can play, Summers is strong, Hibbert overrated. They wont go far in the NCAA's

Wallace is a heck of a shooter..They've got an inside and outside game and play great Defense too. They had Florida beat in the weet 16 last year too.. Don't sleep on them.

Naturally I disagree, if you're saying the Heels are playing poorly, what do you say about Florida?

Different team though. They won it last year and are a vet team.

They are playing bad, no question about it but i would be alot less worried about them.

Right now, UCLA, Florida and GTown would be in my final 4. I am not sure who i would have as the 4th team though. Next week i may say UNC.

I think OSU has a good chance to win it all as well.

But, as we all know, it will depend on matchups and, as always, there will be surprises.

It was meant in jest...but, sarcasm doesn't work so hot with typing. It's all good.

I think Gtown is going to be really tough. They have tremendous athletes, they have shooters, and they play great defense.

Fair enough. It's all good.

The Hoyas are going to be a tough out in the dance. The Big East is pretty weak this year too, so maybe they wont look as good against stronger teams.

Different team though. They won it last year and are a vet team.

They are playing bad, no question about it but i would be alot less worried about them.

Right now, UCLA, Florida and GTown would be in my final 4. I am not sure who i would have as the 4th team though. Next week i may say UNC.

I think OSU has a good chance to win it all as well.

But, as we all know, it will depend on matchups and, as always, there will be surprises.

I think that Florida will find the motivation again when it matters. I think OSU's chemistry issues will haunt them, as I've mentioned to you a few times.

Kansas and Georgetown are the two teams I fear the most as far as who I wouldn;t want Carolina to play.

Beaner and Dish, as my dad said when I called him after this game...that is the way basketball is meant to be played. Not some 49-48 crap between the "top 2 teams in the country." Great game, I'm glad we came out on top but for the vast majority of the game, UNC looked like a team with a legitimate shot at the National Championship.

As that was my last home game as a student, and I took the game off work so I could sit in the stands instead of the press section...this was definitely one of the two greatest games of my collegiate career. I'd put it ahead of the Duke game two years ago because this essentially punches our tournament ticket.

It's not my last Terps game, though. I'll be going down to Greensboro for the women's ACC Tournament starting Thursday...and the day before, I'll be making a little stop in Durham. I have my credential and I will be in Cameron on Wednesday night! I'm psyched...should be a great game...I don't think anyone wants to play the Terps right now.

The big 11 are so overrated it's not even a joke anymore. When neither of the supposed "top 2 teams in the country" can even break 50 points in a game that should tell you something. Just look at how they've done head-to-head against the ACC this season. Put either Ohio St. or Wisconsin in the ACC and I'll bet you neither one is a Top 10 team today.

Well they're standing and screaming at Cole Field House

Waiting for the game to start

He's the head coach in our programs

He's #1 inside my heart

Well his eyes get big and his face gets red when he falls down on his luck

And I'd never play for another coach

Cuz nana nana nana nana HEY! YOU SUCK!

I love Gary Williams

I love Gary Williams

I love Gary Williams and I want you all to know

You can put me in a wheelchair

Cut off all my toes

I'd still love Gary Williams

If I was a girl, I'd be his ho.

Well I can see him kneeling by the bench

From the seat up in the stands

And the only cure for Fridge Fever

Is a trip to Garyland

Well I'd always play my heart

And I'd always look to pass

And you and me we could win the tournament

And then Duke can kiss my ass!

I love Gary Williams

You can put me in a wheelchair

Cut off all my toes

I'd still love Gary Williams

One more time

I love Gary Williams

I love Gary Williams

You can move me into Comcast

Take me out of Cole

I still love Gary Williams

(That's spectacular)

Hayes and Grevis have Lawson's number and it showed today.

Lawson quietly put up one good game....3-7 from the floor (1-2 from 3 land) 9 assists to 1 turnover.

He is the key to that offense...if he gets them out in transisiton Carolina is damn tough to beat.

Lawson quietly put up one good game....3-7 from the floor (1-2 from 3 land) 9 assists to 1 turnover.

He is the key to that offense...if he gets them out in transisiton Carolina is damn tough to beat.

MD also made their run in the 2nd half once Lawson went to the bench with his fourth foul.

Hayes and Grevis have Lawson's number and it showed today.

Hayes had one good play (that block on Lawson) the entire game. Honestly, he made 3-4 TOs with no pressure on him at all. Whether he was dribbling the ball off his foot or rolling it out of bounds, he was dreadful. Greivis is a very good player, but he didn't play especially well yesterday either. That win was mostly DJ. He was tremendous at both ends of the court. Gist also completely changed momentum with some outstanding interior defense.

Hayes had one good play (that block on Lawson) the entire game. Honestly, he made 3-4 TOs with no pressure on him at all. Whether he was dribbling the ball off his foot or rolling it out of bounds, he was dreadful. Greivis is a very good player, but he didn't play especially well yesterday either. That win was mostly DJ. He was tremendous at both ends of the court. Gist also completely changed momentum with some outstanding interior defense.

Well they did lock down Lawson for the most part.

It was a total team win, I am very happy with the effort the whole game. They did not give up once. It looked a little bleak at the start of the game. The crowd was not into it after Carolina took an early lead and they fought back, multiple times.

I am very impressed with the makeup of this team and I feel that the Seniors are taking it to another level. I am very happy about that. This is the type of team we thought we would have after we won the NC, a team that can compete with the big guns.

I am happy they are finally doing that and I hope they finish strong leaving the program in good standing going into next year. I still think there is a lot to be excited about moving forward.

If we can get this type of impact from next years freshman class that we had this year, we should be in good shape for a couple years to come.

I have a couple awesome pictures from the game, I will post them when I get home. Especially the missed layup that was the turning point of the game.;)

And IS, I got the tix from ebay, but I was suprised how many scaplers were around last night, it would have been no problem getting a ticket and I doubt you would have had to pay that much more than face value for them.

The strong rebounding and guard play has a been a key to our recent success and it will play a major role in determining how far we go in the tournament. Great game! It was like watching a final four game.......go Terps!

Overall well said. This was the part I enjoyed and agree with 100%. We have everyone crashing the boards and outrebounded a very good rebounding team by 13 last night. That was a huge key to victory. Winning the board battle is something that can easily go overlooked when you are pointing out reasons for victory.

I think this was what kept us in the first half, we outrebounded UNC by 14 in the first half. That is HUGE!

Guard play and rebounding could really help us in the tournament. Foul trouble is still a major concern with this team with the up tempo style of D we play, and we weren't in much trouble last night. I am very pleased with Osby, how can you not love the hustle. I was wrong about him, he can play in the ACC.

Hayes had one good play (that block on Lawson) the entire game. Honestly, he made 3-4 TOs with no pressure on him at all. Whether he was dribbling the ball off his foot or rolling it out of bounds, he was dreadful.

Hayes had a bad 1st half - probably due to jitters - with no assists and 4 to's, but he was the glue guy in the last 10 minutes of the game. He didn't score, but he controlled the tempo, had 5 assists, 5 rebounds, and the one turnover he had was when he rebounded the ball, dribbled, and I thought it hit Gist's foot - not his. Bottom line - when he's in the lineup, the team plays better.

Archived