Yankees retiring the numbers of Posada, Pettitte and B. Williams

Frobby

They're certainly going overboard here. You could make a decent case for Pettite since he's got more postseason wins than anyone else, but I think that'd be the main argument for him. Posada and Bernie both had outstanding careers but don't fall in line with the list of players above. And I agree, Guidry and Mattingly are certainly pushing it.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This makes 22 retired numbers for the Yankees. I'm sorry, but that's a joke.
They're also putting a plaque for Willie Randolph in their Monument Park. They will have 19 retired numbers and Jeter will make 20. All single digit numbers will be gone after that.

ETA

I don't see how Billy Martin has his number retired while Joe McCarthy and Miller Huggins don't.
You left out Joe Torre's #6 retired last year. McCarthy and Huggins didn't have uniform numbers.

They're also putting a plaque for Willie Randolph in their Monument Park. They will have 19 retired numbers and Jeter will make 20. All single digit numbers will be gone after that.

ETA

You left out Joe Torre's #6 retired last year. McCarthy and Huggins didn't have uniform numbers.

Thanks. Maybe they should retire their jerseys with a blank number then :laughlol:

I actually think Willie Randolph has a serious case for the Hall of Fame but a retired number, methinks not. No worse than Guidry or Mattingly though.

Incidentally, seeing the list of retired numbers and those about to be, I'm reminded of the reason why I think the Yankees have had sustained success more than any other: great catchers. Posada will be the fifth Yankee catcher to have his number retired, more than any other position:

Bill Dickey (1928-1943, 1946): 7 championships

Yogi Berra (1946-1963): 10 championships, 3 MVPs

Elston Howard (1955-1967): 4 championships, 1 MVP

Thurman Munson (1969-1979): 2 championships, 1 MVP

Jorge Posada (1995-2011): 4 championships

That's crazy production from the catcher position, especially on the offensive side. Those are five of the top 30 catchers of all time. Also, Joe Torre was a catcher and so was Joe Girardi :scratchchinhmm:

I see what they are doing and don't think it's unjustified. Posada and Pettitte, along with Jeter and Rivera make up the "Core Four". Each of them was drafted by the Yankees or originally signed as amateurs in the early 90's. They all played together in the minors and made their Major League debut with he Yankees in 1995. They helped the team win 4 World Series in 5 years and they were still on the roster in 2009 when the team won the World Series for the 5th time in 14 years.

Buck Showalter managed them in 1995 and in 2013 at Camden Yards told the NY Post, "You won't see anything like this (the Core Four) happen again. There are too many variables for that to ever happen again. And what you have to remember is the makeup of those guys. The common thread was their agenda. They didn't branch off. They didn't want to disappoint each other. They were guys who never wanted to let their teammates down. You know how hard it is to make as many good decisions on and off the field that those guys made for as long as they made them while playing in New York? They all had grips on realities at a young age in New York City. We just won't see that again."

I think he's right.

http://nypost.com/2013/09/09/showalter-youll-never-see-another-core-four/

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/18/andy-pettitte-i-dont-really-believe-i-tried-to-enhance-my-performance/

People are going to say what they want to, believe what they want to. When you say PEDs to me, man, I just can’t even comprehend that with me just because I don’t really believe I tried to enhance my performance on the field,

paul-wink-o.gif

Only true legends should have their number retired. Cal Ripken, Jim Palmer, Eddie Murray, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, Earl Weaver. All deserving of having their numbers retired. The Yankees seem like they're just going to retire anyone's number until they have to move on to 3 digit numbers. Watch them retire Teixeira when he retires LOL.

All Yankees are true legends.

They're certainly going overboard here. You could make a decent case for Pettite since he's got more postseason wins than anyone else, but I think that'd be the main argument for him. Posada and Bernie both had outstanding careers but don't fall in line with the list of players above. And I agree, Guidry and Mattingly are certainly pushing it.

Pettite only holds that record because the playoffs last a month now. Whitey Ford would have had to pitch in, like, 47 World Series to get the number of postseason starts Pettite got. That's fairly shaky ground to call someone an all time great.

You could also look at it and say that those that were "beloved" got off clean and those that were "respected" didn't. Folks like Bonds, Arod and Clemens had checkered histories with the fans before the PED issue.

Are you surprised that guys that were generally considered to be arrogant A-holes are less likely to be forgiven when they cheat, get caught, and lie about it?

Archived